Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to clean the mold and mildew that can build in the hatches? Anything you can spray on or just elbow grease to remove it?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I’ve never had it in my skiff but generally for mold I use bleach. If that doesn’t work I use hydrogen peroxide 29%, you can get it at pool supply stores.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure exactly what it is. Just curious what everyone uses to clean in there. Especially the hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
If it's actually mold - then all that's needed is X-14 (the stuff sold in grocery stores as mold/mildew cleaner for bathrooms).... Simply spray on then clean off with a damp cloth or sponge...

If it's "something else" then my first cleanser (and usually all that's needed...) would be BarKeepers Friend - a powder cleanser with a bit of acid in it that will clean off almost any stains in fiberglass... also a grocery store item...

Hope this helps - aren't boats fun?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
On my old boat, I used soapy water or Simple Green and a stiff bristle brush to clean it off. Once you get it clean, consider painting the inside of your hatches and lids with high gloss paint. Current boat has all the inside of hatch lids and the bilge Awlgripped in gloss white. Makes wiping clean super easy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
BTW, don’t use bleach and Barkeepers Friend together- the fumes can kill you. Those Damprid containers work well, just put one in each compartment when the boat is stored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts