Modified alkyd or a one-part polyurethane.

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by firecat1981, Jan 14, 2011.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I'm considering differnt paints for the upcoming build. I've used interlux brightside several times with good results. Outside of of hull bottom (which will be epoxy/graphite this time) it stood up well and was easy to touch up. That being said it was dang pricey for still being a one-part paint that was still somewhat soft, but I'd still use it again.

Like I said I'm considering different paints and types. I'll still use a 1-part because it's much easier and I'm done dealing with 2-parts for now since I'm not worried about the bottom. So it will come down to either a one-part polyurethane (like brightside or easypoxy) or an alkyd emanmel paint (like interlux premium yatch enamel or rustoleum boat paint).

Can someone tell me the real performance differences between the 2 types of paint? if any?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Absolutely no clue! Good thing there are references...

http://www.diy-boat.com/content/view/134/49/

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

You may need to use a conversion primer if you ever have to paint over the alkyd enamel. Other than that just choose what you like as it is usually a good idea to prime before painting.

Frank

PS I like both of the paints you mentioned as the two paint polys aren't for the faint of heart.

4. firecat1981

Ok looks like there are reasons 1-part polys are more expensive. They cover well so I should be able to get away with a few quarts. Not sure if I will go with Interlux brightside, or pettit easypoxy. Has anyone used both of them? Opinions?

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Didn't you just research about 1,000 different paints recently? We should be asking you these questions.

6. firecat1981

I did, but for a different application, I needed to find something to work well for both the cooler project and this boat build. Well I failed, the stuff I used for the cooler, Pilrim plastic, is tough stuff, but doesn't look good enough for a top coat on a boat when rolled on, and it is a pain to work with. The interlux brightside I used on my last few boats was a pleasure to use in comparison. I'm going to stick with brightside I think, I hope west marine still price matches cause last time I got a good deal.

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I was at FGCI in St. Pete today and they have 20 feet long and 6 feet high of alkalyd paint and necessities for 75% off.

8. firecat1981

Hmmm I've been there alot and I've noticed they often have entire lines of things on clearance. My thinking is either the stuff is going out of date, or no one wants it so they are getting rid of it. I'll be there on wednesday probably so I'll take a look, however ultimately I think I'll stick with the brightside.