Mitchell Skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by JRyanL, Oct 2, 2009.

1. JRyanL

JRyanL I Love microskiff.com!

Just picked up a 1974 Mitchell Skiff 13' in pretty good shape but I have no info on the boat and no point of reference on what one can (or should) be like. Does anyone have any info on these hulls, the manufacturer or a website I can check out with info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to turn it into a poling skiff with a front platform.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

It can be any setup that makes you happy.
    Of course that depends on the time and money you have available.

Previous posts, many with pics...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=mitchell+site%3Amicroskiff.com&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=2cca7b2e99206b9c

3. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

4. JRyanL

Thank you for the help. Actually, when I get some picks up I think you guys are gonna be shocked how well kept this one is. It has been garage kept either forever, or since it has been restored. The only issue I have is finding replacement insignias (or maybe just one), because they are a little weathered. I also want to put a casting deck adn some storage in the front and rear and a poling platform on it. The boat is absolutely water ready now, but those mods will make this an awesome little backwater boat

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Take a digital picture of the existing logo, and hand it to a decal shop.
    They have the software to convert a digital image to a vector plot
    which can be run through a computer controlled cutting machine.
    Any colors that make you happy. New decals overnight.

That's how this was done...

The original Photoshop image...

[​IMG]

Decals as I was given...

[​IMG]

And then installed...

[​IMG]

6. JRyanL

Thanks for the info, that will come in handy with another project I'm absolutely sure. But this one isn't that easy, these are plastic insignias, like you probably won't see on many other Mitchell's (similar to the Gheenoe one's). I will post pics later today. Might go the digital route if I can't replac them.

7. cantcatchsquat

cantcatchsquat Well-Known Member

hey brett thats a nice looking boat do you have any more pics of it

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

CCS, there's an entire build thread in the bragging section,
    page 2, "Start from scratch", also a few in the fishing reports section.

9. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i wouldnt be afraid of giving your mitchell a modern day look with decals as opposed to the plastic logo. if you still have the original logo you can get someone whos good at drawing to to duplicate it then a print shop should be able to do the rest, i took a digital photo of the mud minnow logo then went to a local decal shop and they did the rest
    [​IMG][/img]

10. JRyanL

No, I'm not worried about it from that standpoint. Just thought it would be pretty cool to have those old plastic decals. From what I've seen no other Mitchell has them

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

If you can get them loose from the hull,
    a toothbrush and Softscub will clean them up.
    Then rinse well and dry, apply a bit of Krylon spraypaint for plastic surfaces.
    Your choice of color. ( Saw it done on an old Woodson tri-hull )

12. JRyanL

I appreciate the help. But again not gonna be that easy.lol
    Atleast one is half broke off (missing 1/2) So unless I have them refabricated they are irreplacable as far as I can tell.

13. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I'm sure you can have them made in aluminum if you have one good one.

I have a guy who's great at autocadding stuff for that kind of work.

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

This has me interested now, the boat's been washed and put away.
    Got to thinking it might not be that hard to make a wax mold.
    Clean up the the good logo, make an impression with it in soft wax.
    Then after the wax hardens, pour epoxy into the wax impression.
    Epoxy hardens and you have a new plastic logo.
    Paint and apply to the hull...(with epoxy)

15. JRyanL

Yeah that would work. I think we're on the same page now Brett. That is very helpful because I really am just crazy enough to go through that process for the logos. Might even keep the mold and make extras for some of these other guys on here with Mitchells and no logos. I appreciate the help!!

16. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Impression casting, you accomplish it, I want to see the pics... :cool:
    If you wanted a semi-permanent mould you could try plaster.
    Interesting subject, lots of hobbyists interested in the process.

http://books.google.com/books?id=6tDJ5A0d4b0C&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=wax+impression+plaster+casting&source=bl&ots=meu4PZEskk&sig=ZiF_fXlS89z6Myrsa8XoD9ebvQA&hl=en&ei=0xHKSu_lMNSTtgfpwLyHCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

17. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

silicon sealant is good for making permanent molds, it's flexable so removing your product is easier than a stiff-breakable mold. use vegtable oil as a mold release, it's washable so you can paint your product.

18. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

when ya gonna post pic's of the boat? I'd love to see it. :)

If it's anything like the one I had, you've got yourself one heck of a versatile skiff there. Best of luck with it...

19. JRyanL

Sorry got busy and forgot to post pics. Here they are. Got a lot of ideas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK. Oars are coming out and need to install trailer lights. Still can't decide if I wanna sand and repaint.
    Gonna do alot of fiberglass and starboard work. I want to install a front casting deck that's at the height of the existng fiberglass nose cap (?). Underneath I am going to glass in an insulated cooler storage, dry storage and live well.
    Motor is gonna be 25hp Mercury tiller. Was gonna do a side consol but changed my mind.
    Gonna glass over back seat to transom with another lid for storage of anchor, gas can and hidden bilge pump.
    Glass over exposed wood on transom.
    Poling platform on the back. Bow mount Minn Kota RT 55lb thrust trolling motor.
    Might do new rub rails, definetly needs some rod holders and should be fishy enough.

How's she look, got any ideas?

20. JRyanL

Picked up forty feet of rub rail that I am going to put a rope insert in. Also, gave in on the idea and got Interlux paint and primer. Color is going to be Flag Ship Blue. Got an electrical panel too. It was the first of a few expensive days I am sure I will have in restoring this boat.

Got a 25hp Mercury tiller for it the other day as well. Gotta sand and repaint the cowling and resticker and the lower unit is a gray mariner lower unit so gonna paint that to match as well. Luckily I've got a few good helpers for these projects I take on.