Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Minn Kota I-Pilot

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  jasonrl23 
#1 ·
I’m considering upgrading my trolling motor to a Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive with an I-Pilot. I’d love to hear some reviews from anyone that has one, or any other options y’all are aware of.

#5 ·
I wouldn’t have a TM without iPilot or similar GPS capability. I use mine quite a bit these days because I’m fishing solo, and can’t imagine not having it. I get that some guys like the old tillers, but I’m not one of them.

#6 ·
I may be getting to be an "old geezer" as I tend to take good enough care of all my stuff that it lasts a long time.
Did something a couple weeks ago that's out of character for me, I tossed a powerdrive that still worked. Needed a prop and the shaft had some rust that I could have dealt with but I've got this vision in my head of a new minn kota that I could program to take me around a certain lake up in the mountains where all I would have to do is use the remote to stop and start it... (first world problem ... solved :cool: )

#12 ·
I’m running an I-Pilot on my 17’ Maverick. It’s a 24 volt Terrova with remote control and I couldn’t be happier. Mine’s been in commercial service now for about a year (but this past year we lost March - May due to the virus).

Mine has the anchor lock and I wouldn’t be without it. Not cheap (best price I found was $1729, and that did not include the Battery Tender plug-in, the quick change mounting bracket or the PowerMania onboard charger.

Should have gotten one sooner!

#16 ·
If you want the TM and GPS to talk to each other, you‘ll want to research the GPS unit carefully. I actually went with the 24v Ulterra with my new skiff, and it has been a VERY nice upgrade for me and the way I use it. I got it for the ability to trim via remote, but I’m finding the deploy/stow to be very useful as well. More moving parts though...pretty sure I’m at 35 trips and so far so good.

Reactions: mro
#17 ·
I watched a commercial awhile back that the guy backed his boat into the water then used a remote to deploy his TM and had it station the boat out of the way while he parked his truck.
That's kinda rad (if that's a word)

the two points for me getting the Sea Nymph was one, needed something light enough that I could still handle it on/off the trailer, the other ...something for me to tinker with...

Going to get one this month as the strippers tend to move into the delta in September.
Front of the Nymph is good enough to cast from.

#18 ·
I watched a commercial awhile back that the guy backed his boat into the water then used a remote to deploy his TM and had it station the boat out of the way while he parked his truck.
That's kinda rad (if that's a word)

the two points for me getting the Sea Nymph was one, needed something light enough that I could still handle it on/off the trailer, the other ...something for me to tinker with...

Going to get one this month as the strippers tend to move into the delta in September.
Front of the Nymph is good enough to cast from.

I have a friend who has the automatic trolling motor on a 26ft Sea Hunt striper rig, and he does just that. Back it in, float it back far enough to deploy the trolling motor, let ti get far enough from the dock to be out of the way and hit spot lock. Then when he has his truck parked and everything ready, guide it to the dock and climb aboard. He said the first time was the toughest. $50,000 floating away from you as you drive away will do that to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.