Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a blue systems mini Add Battery Kit. I am trying to get all the extra cables for two batteries. I currently have an older 35hp tiller. I hope to upgrade later to a newer etec or Yamaha 40hp. What size wire and fuse. From the house and the starting to the a ACR I can run 4-6 AWG. What can I run from the switch to the House and from the switch to the starting. I figure 4-6 AWG from the switch to the house fuse panel. Do my grounds need to be the same size? What size breaker should I run 65amp 80amp
Text Diagram Parallel Drawing Line art

·
I Love microskiff.com!
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope to have a trolling motor that would be the biggest drain. A smaller gps sonar unit. If I run some flounder lights I would like to be able to have a separate battery to run it all. I guess that's a new survey how many run one or two batteries?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I won't rig a skiff without two batteries and the proper switching setup - but it's been years since I ran a microskiff... My old 17' Maverick is in hard service as a guide skiff so I'm a bit careful how it's set up.. Just a few weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and added a troller to my skiff (I worked out of it for the last 20 years without one....) so I had to go to a 24 volt system that required a third battery, a PowerMania onboard charger and a 60amp breaker...

Many that run micros don't feel the need for a second battery - let's hope that all of those rigs are easy to pull start - and not 30 miles into the backcountry with a dead battery and a motor that needs some juice to start...

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
I won't rig a skiff without two batteries and the proper switching setup - but it's been years since I ran a microskiff... My old 17' Maverick is in hard service as a guide skiff so I'm a bit careful how it's set up.. Just a few weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and added a troller to my skiff (I worked out of it for the last 20 years without one....) so I had to go to a 24 volt system that required a third battery, a PowerMania onboard charger and a 60amp breaker...

Many that run micros don't feel the need for a second battery - let's hope that all of those rigs are easy to pull start - and not 30 miles into the backcountry with a dead battery and a motor that needs some juice to start...
Four pound Noco Genius Lithium Jump Pack that holds a charge for two years.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't know if I would ever be that far off the beaten path, but I like the insurance of two batteries. I am unsure how exactly it needs to be set up. The outboard doesn't have a pull start. The deep cycle battery I am getting has at least 650 cc amps. I order a starting battery but if I can do without it that saves me some weight.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am getting ready to wire things up I have 10 ft or so to run from the house to the switch. The starting battery is a short run to the motor or switch. As of now I have 4awg. Is that sufficient from the House to ACR to about the same disatnce?. Is 4 awg good from the switch/ACR to starting battery? IS 6awg good from the Switch the fuse panel?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.