Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
273 Posts
Great comments. I have not traveled to saltwater fish since Christmas Island in early Feb, 2020 due to COVID. The Millhouse podcast has scratched an itch for me, and I am so glad more people get to hear a few stories I'm blessed to have heard in person. Also, folks that love this sport need to read Monte Burke's outstanding book, Lords of the Fly. Cannot wait to get to the Everglades again in April.
Did you survive the food and water at Christmas?🤢

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,419 Posts
Well it's a cautionary tale. The perspective of important though as we don't want to get such in the shifting baseline syndrome.

I'm hopefull that is going to get better. Bonefish are coming back, tarpon are steady I think. My observation on permit is that they are down.
Why is fishing getting better? If you are relatively new to the sport of saltwater sight cast fly fishing, your skill set, including fish hunting, will always be improving and every year will be better. That is the shifting baseline. All we can do is become more politically engaged and vote accordingly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Why is fishing getting better? If you are relatively new to the sport of saltwater sight cast fly fishing, your skill set, including fish hunting, will always be improving and every year will be better. That is the shifting baseline. All we can do is become more politically engaged and vote accordingly.
I've been at since 1995, not new but not old either. I base that of what I've heard people like Sandy Morett say that there are bigger tarpon around and the average seems bigger so that makes me hopefull. I didn't say that the fishing is necessarily better but the stocks for those two appear to be doing better.

But your point is correct.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mill House just put out a video of basically 8 minutes worth of tarpon eats. Worth the watch.
Great video! I'm not sure I could trust myself with that cigar so close to some expensive fly line. I know I would burn right through it and lose a fish. lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
335 Posts
Just recently listened to Mark Krowka, Dustin Huff and Will Benson. All good except that they all end on a depressing note, ie the fishing in the Keys is experiencing a massive decline.
was re-listening to the Will Benson podcast yesterday, and googled Western Dry Rocks out of curiosity. It sounds like they've shut down fishing out there during the spawning season. Sounds like the Guides Association is making a difference. Now we'll see if they follow through with the building of artificial reefs to help out the light tackle boys...

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
335 Posts
I’ve watched some of the interviews several times. I just recently watched the Norman Duncan and Steve Huff again. So much to pick up on it has to be reviewed numerous times. I might have the fishing sickness...
yeah, I pick up a little something each time I listen. Norman Duncan is one of my favorites; he kinda sets Andy straight on a few things. Real humble guy, though, he gives ample credit to other folks.

161 - 180 of 197 Posts