Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
714 Posts
Episode 20 explains it. Nicky is in to the history. Yes , folks with money pursue world records. But , they also worked to make that money. The people who they interview are the history of fly fishing. And a important point is brought out, too many folks in this world and the wuflu really showed it.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,986 Posts
New episode. Norman Duncan, a person not known to many, but you have heard his name in other episodes. Discussion on knots gets a little heated and the hosts get schooled some.
Did he invent the Duncan loop. Send a link I'd love to see it

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,473 Posts
I just started listening/watching the Mill House podcasts. I read Lords of the Fly a month ago-ish so lots of these old school legends names and some of their stories and accomplishments I'm familiar with. Obviously some of them everyone who has fished for a while knows of them but the book has been a really good primer for me to listen to the podcast.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just recently listened to Mark Krowka, Dustin Huff and Will Benson. All good except that they all end on a depressing note, ie the fishing in the Keys is experiencing a massive decline.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just recently listened to Mark Krowka, Dustin Huff and Will Benson. All good except that they all end on a depressing note, ie the fishing in the Keys is experiencing a massive decline.
On a similar note, I have been getting increasingly frustrated when a comment is made on the podcast about how good the fishing used to be in response to a younger guy/guide excited about having a "good day" on the water. I realize it is not as good, nor will it ever be (and I realize this is frustrating for those who were able to experience it), but for us young guys, these are the "good ole days."

·
Registered
26 Posts
On a similar note, I have been getting increasingly frustrated when a comment is made on the podcast about how good the fishing used to be in response to a younger guy/guide excited about having a "good day" on the water. I realize it is not as good, nor will it ever be (and I realize this is frustrating for those who were able to experience it), but for us young guys, these are the "good ole days."
I completely agree Jackson. I have just started to listen to Season 1 and although I have enjoyed it (especially Chico!), this topic has annoyed me a little bit several times. I appreciate hearing about how great it once was but don't necessarily like the degrading tone of what they describe as exciting to the current crop of fisherman/guides/sports can never hold a candle to.... As they say, "you don't know what you don't know" and the current generation of fisherman are enjoying what we have now and that's a good thing. By the way, I am 53 years old and have lived my entire life in Florida (born in Gainesville) and have seen some changes myself. However, I still love calm mornings, low tides and snook that eat flies. I just have to work a little more for it than I used to. Cheers to you all.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well it's a cautionary tale. The perspective of important though as we don't want to get such in the shifting baseline syndrome.

I'm hopefull that is going to get better. Bonefish are coming back, tarpon are steady I think. My observation on permit is that they are down.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,487 Posts
The Millhouse article in the most recent Tail Fly Fishing Magazine may have been one of the most tone deaf things I've read in awhile...

Must be nice to just check out during covid and go fishing for weeks at a time while bouncing between Aspen and the Keys with your son.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Great comments. I have not traveled to saltwater fish since Christmas Island in early Feb, 2020 due to COVID. The Millhouse podcast has scratched an itch for me, and I am so glad more people get to hear a few stories I'm blessed to have heard in person. Also, folks that love this sport need to read Monte Burke's outstanding book, Lords of the Fly. Cannot wait to get to the Everglades again in April.

141 - 160 of 197 Posts