Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 264 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Loved Capt. Billy. I fished with him almost 15 years ago...and I thought he was old then! He's the real deal.
The Capt Billy Knowles episode has been my favorite so far.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Dale Perez episode dropped today. 23 lb bone! Another side to the homassasa story. What it really was like 40 years ago. Hell even 25 years ago , still some monsters showed up, now , meh.
The stories of the massive fish are just mind blowing. The infamous picture of Tom Evans and the giant poon taken from the boat who was licking their pot only to catch the current 20lb fly record right after it. The Huff and Perez fish being closer to 300 and 250. I find these stories amazing... yes, stories grow with age, but those massive fish were and are out there.

It does make me wonder about Port Aransas back in the heyday of the 30s to 60s and how that fishery is nothing even near what is was - even more of a drop off from Homosassa. I wonder if those fish in Texas were pushed out by water issues and development, and ended up migrating over to Florida. There were not gold in color or the size though, from I have read.

I was in Los Roques in 2010 and headed out to a sailboat for a few days - one the dingy out, there were lots of tarpon around - in about 6' of water I noticed a massive fish we were about to cross over - it was the biggest tarpon I even have laid eyes on - could have been pushing 7' long and had a massive back on it. I couldn't believe it - easily was over 200 lbs - it turned lengthwise to the dingy and swam with us, which gave me an ever better look at it - I'd say closer to 250 than 200. I dove the island on the point nearby and saw some big girls in deeper water, but this thing was nothing like I've ever seen and have seen since.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The stories of the massive fish are just mind blowing. The infamous picture of Tom Evans and the giant poon taken from the boat who was licking their pot only to catch the current 20lb fly record right after it. The Huff and Perez fish being closer to 300 and 250. I find these stories amazing... yes, stories grow with age, but those massive fish were and are out there.

It does make me wonder about Port Aransas back in the heyday of the 30s to 60s and how that fishery is nothing even near what is was - even more of a drop off from Homosassa. I wonder if those fish in Texas were pushed out by water issues and development, and ended up migrating over to Florida. There were not gold in color or the size though, from I have read.

I was in Los Roques in 2010 and headed out to a sailboat for a few days - one the dingy out, there were lots of tarpon around - in about 6' of water I noticed a massive fish we were about to cross over - it was the biggest tarpon I even have laid eyes on - could have been pushing 7' long and had a massive back on it. I couldn't believe it - easily was over 200 lbs - it turned lengthwise to the dingy and swam with us, which gave me an ever better look at it - I'd say closer to 250 than 200. I dove the island on the point nearby and saw some big girls in deeper water, but this thing was nothing like I've ever seen and have seen since.
I've been fishing Homosassa since 95 well after anything like the glory days but I've seen three fish there that were over 250lbs. Those fish also go to Tampa Bay, Boca Grande but it seems they mostly bypass Homosassa now.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts

There are 180-200# tarpon here...maybe not in numbers like they were but they are here until the flatbills run over them enough with trolling motors.
Homosassa tarpon look gold because of the water. Chromatophores like redfish.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There are 180-200# tarpon here...maybe not in numbers like they were but they are here until the flatbills run over them enough with trolling motors.
Homosassa tarpon look gold because of the water. Chromatophores like redfish.
Do you Texas fish generally have that dark purple back?

·
Registered
705 Posts
If I am not mistaken our tarpon are from Central America and Mexico. They converge somewhere around Grande Isle with the east coast / Florida fish before both going back their separate ways.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
If I am not mistaken our tarpon are from Central America and Mexico. They converge somewhere around Grande Isle with the east coast / Florida fish before both going back their separate ways.
Hell I don’t know, I knew they migrated from north and south but thought they met up in different areas each year. I know we have some bigs here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah I think BTT considers the entire Atlantic population one intermingling group of fish. Texas fish are Florida fish and are Belize fish etc, etc.

I don't know if they have tracked any of the west African fish or fish from Brazil but that would be interesting.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
746 Posts
Just watched the one with Will Benson again. Pizza delivery guy was mentioned towards the end. Mainly, he and his brother did a really good thing , keeping the super cruise ships out of Key West.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Grabbed dinner last week at the Square Grouper with the wife on the last day of our vacation, and the Millhouse boys, along with the Voodoo Daddy sat at the table right next to us. Paul Tejera was at the other table on our left. Pretty cool to see the guys that you read about and watch on TV in the real. I was fan-girling hard lol

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Grabbed dinner last week at the Square Grouper with the wife on the last day of our vacation, and the Millhouse boys, along with the Voodoo Daddy sat at the table right next to us. Paul Tejera was at the other table on our left. Pretty cool to see the guys that you read about and watch on TV in the real. I was fan-girling hard lol
Very cool

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2013 Towee Rivermaster SRO
59 Posts
That’s a pretty awesome dinner!

201 - 220 of 264 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.