Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about any suggestions for some fly chucking fun within ~2 hrs of Orlando in Mid-Feb. I may have a couple weekends free on either end of a biz trip.

Mosquito Lagoon/IRL seem obvious but the more I read the more depressing things sound there, so I'm looking for other options. Just about anything that swims and eats a fly is fun in my book.

Not asking for secret spots just some general rec's for something fun in mid Feb?

Guide and/or DIY options.
thx in advance
Dan

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The shad run may be going on as well, it's a lot of fun on a 4-5 wt.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
706 Posts
Not discounting the information suggesting the IRL is in dire straits. It is. That being said, it's not like it's all a giant barren mudflat devoid of life. There's still plenty of exciting fishing in a beautiful setting, particularly in Mosquito Lagoon.

There are also lots of knowledgeable and talented guides. I myself would recommend Capt. Brian Clancy, who also runs a very nice little on-the-water fish camp with a private ramp and dock and free use of kayaks. www.mosquitolagoonfishcamp.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
My only guided experience ever was with Capt. Willy Le. Had legit 40-50 shots at swimmers and tailers on his Maverick. All on the fly. Insanely awesome experience.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Mosquito Lagoon even though it is not as good as it used to be is still better than my local red fishery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have had great water clarity in the sebastian area with redfish and big trout cruising the mangroves along with fish sunning in the grass flat potholes on warmer days. Feel free to contact me anytime for a report or even book a trip.

Capt. Jeff Trafton
Local waters LLC
Fishlocalwaters.com
321-266-2575

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
Capt. Mark Benson
markbensonoutdoors.com

American shad on the St. Johns, trout and reds in the Lagoon and trophy bass at the Ritz Carlton.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Curious about any suggestions for some fly chucking fun within ~2 hrs of Orlando in Mid-Feb. I may have a couple weekends free on either end of a biz trip

Guide and/or DIY options.
thx in advance
Dan
You need to come to Citrus County and fish with me. Its less than two hours away, there is always something biting, and it's one of the last places left in Florida that hasn't been wrecked by development. I used to commute daily from Orlando during tarpon season before moving here.

https://goo.gl/maps/6WVvTQ1eB4m

https://citruscountyoutfitters.com

QNvMcp5KSFuWg2Ppu5SxVg.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts