Micros in the bay

Discussion in 'Virginia, Northern East Coast' started by yeffy, May 7, 2012.

1. yeffy

yeffy I Love microskiff.com!

Was just wondering if anyone has used a micro on the Susquehanna flats or the salt marshes of southern md. I know the bay gets a bit rough but I don't want to be out there in that anyway. I fly fish and this boat seems almost purpose built for that type of fishing. Any opinions are appreciated.

Currently I fish from a high side drift boat in freshwater but the oars get old after a while and so does catching 12 to 20 trout and bass. I'd like to go the route of sight fishing for larger fish, but maybe just a new fish will do

2. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Gimme some time and I'll let you know.

;D

You can always find a way to use a simple little boat. The real question is whether you need a boat that is capable of more. Open water allows it to get very nasty for low free board, narrow, shallow draft hulls. I plan on fishing the marshes around the bay and maybe the flats when it isn't too windy or crowded. My boat will be very uncomfortable once the wind and waves kick up and I will have to find a place to hide. I am okay with this, but you may not be.

Where are you located?

Nate

3. yeffy

northern Baltimore county about 30 minutes from flats. I'm used to rough considering the whitewater in the drift boat and all the small Jon boats I have fished from. Keep me updated on how you make out with fishing the bay. Are you close to the flats?

4. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

"Are you close to the flats?"

Not really. I live off I270 in Montgomery Village. I am looking at fishing and hunting in some WMA marsh on the bay side of the southern Eastern Shore, but I still have to finish building my boat. Spud sent me pics of big reds caught in the bay, so I know there will be smaller reds in the marsh, but I will also have to learn to fish for whatever else is fun around here.

Once I know something other than hearsay, I'll let you know.

Nate

5. WOODINSKIFF12

WOODINSKIFF12 I have a thing for wood

why not beable to do both? i draw about 7" and can handle 2 footers with ease and im ok in 3s ;D

[​IMG]

6. yeffy

Cool boat any pictures of the inside?

7. Virnut

Virnut Catch Fish.

People really neglect the shallows of the bay.
    People chase reds all day in the Carolina's but assume that there is a magic barrier once you cross into the lower bay.