Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to start a plug to build the ultimate craft for a single fly fisherman. I looked at the solo skiff and like it but do not want tiller steering or a 5 hp limit.

I am thinking about 15 foot long, 38"to a 40" bottom, 42"max at beam {its got to paddle from the center while seated} at the very most 10" to 12" sides with flow through transom . It will have a high floor 5" to 8" off the bottom.{close to Unsinkable}.

I am thinking of putting a small set back style tunnel and a full length pad. The pad to make it track when paddling or polling. The tunnel to make it stick when turning and run shallow.Low sides will fight the wind better. The motor bracket to be move forward "sponson style" to make getting up easier in shallow water. I fish a soft bottom marsh" poling on a windy day is a pain", trolling motors do not work here for sight fishing it is too shallow, and too murky and full of vegetation.

intended use is solo fly fishing for reds in shallow south Louisiana ponds. and as a layout duck boat. The idea is to motor to a pond pick up a double paddle or pole and to start fishing with out moving from the center of the craft.

The hull to be a little modified V to handle a light chop.

i am debating a skiff type V or possibly a narrow flatboat style pointed bow.

Hp to be 15 to 20 power tilt and trim 120lb weight limit. Projected to speed 25 to 30. It's got to jump up. Steering to be either stick steer or steering wheel most likely hydraulic .

I would like suggestions on design to make the hull quiet and stealthy . benefits of the two bow designs and the effects on either paddling or polling.

Reviews of similar crafts if you built bought or fished one.

Thanks in advanced for your input

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I am getting ready to start a plug to build the ultimate craft for a single fly fisherman. I looked at the solo skiff and like it but do not want tiller steering or a 5 hp limit.

I am thinking about 15 foot long, 38"to a 40" bottom, 42"max at beam {its got to paddle from the center while seated} at the very most 10" to 12" sides with flow through transom . It will have a high floor 5" to 8" off the bottom.{close to Unsinkable}.

I am thinking of putting a small set back style tunnel and a full length pad. The pad to make it track when paddling or polling. The tunnel to make it stick when turning and run shallow.Low sides will fight the wind better. The motor bracket to be move forward "sponson style" to make getting up easier in shallow water. I fish a soft bottom marsh" poling on a windy day is a pain", trolling motors do not work here for sight fishing it is too shallow, and too murky and full of vegetation.

intended use is solo fly fishing for reds in shallow south Louisiana ponds. and as a layout duck boat. The idea is to motor to a pond pick up a double paddle or pole and to start fishing with out moving from the center of the craft.

The hull to be a little modified V to handle a light chop.

i am debating a skiff type V or possibly a narrow flatboat style pointed bow.

Hp to be 15 to 20 power tilt and trim 120lb weight limit. Projected to speed 25 to 30. It's got to jump up. Steering to be either stick steer or steering wheel most likely hydraulic .

I would like suggestions on design to make the hull quiet and stealthy . benefits of the two bow designs and the effects on either paddling or polling.

Reviews of similar crafts if you built bought or fished one.

Thanks in advanced for your input
Look at Chris Morejohns different designs. I'm sure he has something to fit you needs and you would save alot of design time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
264 Posts
That narrow, with a sole that high will create a center of gravity that is too high, boat will be unstable. Unless you design boats for a living I’d try to find a plan and go that route with maybe a few mods for your application. Some pics or sketches of something similar to your goal would help get some more feedback. Good Luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That narrow, with a sole that high will create a center of gravity that is too high, boat will be unstable. Unless you design boats for a living I’d try to find a plan and go that route with maybe a few mods for your application. Some pics or sketches of something similar to your goal would help get some more feedback. Good Luck.

Not sure what you mean by "sole" . I have designed several shallow water crafts over the years. The gator trax extreme is a slightly modified hull I designed. I gave them the plans for the hull for a quote. I choose another builder but when they saw how well it performed they produced it. I do not expect to spend a lot of time standing in this little boat ,I will fish it like a kayak. I expect it to be as stable or more than a similar size sup or kayak or canoe. I had a 17' 36" bottom boat with high sides that handled well , It went every were with a godevil while standing. it fished ok but blew across the marsh with the slightest breeze but did not paddle well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would look at the slippersl dick and modify from there. The guys talking about sole height and things are speaking of how a boat will react if fished standing up. Your talking about staying seated. Different story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts