Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck up in the upstate of SC while the fiancé finishes grad school at Clemson. There are some pretty gorgeous lakes (Hartwell, Kewoee, and Jocassee). We will be heading back to Charleston as soon as she finishes up. Any suggestions on a good boat that can get me by that I can explore the lakes but also trailers back home to fish the shallow water? I am trying to keep my budget under 15K.

· Brandon, FL
12,693 Posts
Just read the posts in the various threads.

I don't think any boat has been left out.

You need to narrow the question a bit, it's too wide. Kinda like I need a new pair of footwear. What is the best pair so I don't hurt my feet with stones.

· Registered
877 Posts
I have to agree with the nut. Micro is very broad! How tippy can you handle? Bay is also very broad, do you want to take it offshore when in Charleston? You would still have to pick your days wisely, but still doable.

Do you want a poling skiff for the coast? Do you just want a trolling motor on a bay boat to fish? Do you want a ttop? Do you want to wakeboard/ski behind it on the lake? What do want as far as draft?

Those questions are paramount in your decision on a micro/bay search!

The first time I took my wife skiff shopping, (what a disaster that was!!!) the boat I wanted would not accommodate her entire extended family. So WE, notice I didn’t say I, didn’t get a SKIFF at all. We got a big boat.

Going with what @flysalt060 said, get a Spear, Mitzi, I’m a sucker for a Hewe’s, get a Contender! Just trying to get a real feel for what you’re looking for... Let us know, maybe we can help, maybe we can get you dreaming about 2 boats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.