Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with Smallmouth on the fly in Michigan? I’m just looking for some advice while I’m up here.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,175 Posts
You ended up with a double post somehow, just an fyi. Best to delete one so all your answers will be in one location.

@anytide can delete one for you, if you want.

Ok, on to the fishing. Where are you in Michigan? Will you be in a boat or wading?

Another thing it's a really good time for Steelhead, you need to save those small jaws for when the good stuff is slow, just my opinion.

I am in Michigan quite a bit but @DuckNut knows MI better than me, he'll still need answers to what I asked before he could help also.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
Forget the smallies for now.

Salmon are in the rivers so any river that has smallies, the smallies have moved out of the way of the salmon.

Lakes are where you will find them now but they will be slow because the water is cooling down.

As soon as the salmon are done the steelhead will move in and be there all winter.

Tell me where you are and I will tell you where to go and how to catch them.

If you haven't hooked a 40 lb salmon in a fast moving river you need to experience it.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You ended up with a double post somehow, just an fyi. Best to delete one so all your answers will be in one location.

Ok, on to the fishing. Where are you in Michigan? Will you be in a boat or wading?

Another thing it's a really good time for Steelhead, you need to save those small jaws for when the good stuff is slow, just my opinion.

I am in Michigan quite a bit but @DuckNut knows MI better than me, he'll still need answers to what I asked before he could help also.
I’m going to school in Ann Arbor. I’ve mostly been fishing the Huron, but I’m willing to drive a little. I don’t have a boat so it’s all wading for me.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts

Steeliness won't be in until the salmon slow down. They usually show up when duck season is ending. Then they will remain until the ice is gone and then move out to the lakes. Then the summer run (skamania) show up a week or so after Mother's Day.

When you go there let me know and I'll tell you where to go as well.

In the meantime, deer season opens in a month...got your license?

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steeliness won't be in until the salmon slow down. They usually show up when duck season is ending. Then they will remain until the ice is gone and then move out to the lakes. Then the summer run (skamania) show up a week or so after Mother's Day.

When you go there let me know and I'll tell you where to go as well.

In the meantime, deer season opens in a month...got your license?
I’ve really never hunted but I’d definitely like to try some steelies

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
I’m going to school in Ann Arbor. I’ve mostly been fishing the Huron, but I’m willing to drive a little. I don’t have a boat so it’s all wading for me.
UM?

My alma mater.

The Huron is ok just because it is close. Go to the apple orchard and use a single egg on a 8 egg hook with a split shot about 2-3 feet above the hook. This is a tiny split shot, just enough to take the line down and float parrallel to the hook. You don't want it to slow the hook down. The orchard is east a bit on the Clinton River (can't think of the town right now but it is close to Lawrence Tech)

The AuSable is terrific but access is difficult if you haven't been there and easy access results in steep banks and deep holes.

Bear creek and manistee River are some of the best as is pere Marquette.

Also, look up Detroit area steelheaders group.

The fishing in the SE part of the state is nothing compared to the northern areas.

The rifle River is a sleeper.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UM?

My alma mater.

The Huron is ok just because it is close. Go to the apple orchard and use a single egg on a 8 egg hook with a split shot about 2-3 feet above the hook. This is a tiny split shot, just enough to take the line down and float parrallel to the hook. You don't want it to slow the hook down. The orchard is east a bit on the Clinton River (can't think of the town right now but it is close to Lawrence Tech)

The AuSable is terrific but access is difficult if you haven't been there and easy access results in steep banks and deep holes.

Bear creek and manistee River are some of the best as is pere Marquette.

Also, look up Detroit area steelheaders group.

The fishing in the SE part of the state is nothing compared to the northern areas.

The rifle River is a sleeper.
Awesome, thanks. And yes it is UM

·
Fly-By-Night
3,175 Posts
Most of my experience is in the SW side and up the East side a bit.

I second the P. Marquette, also had a ton of fun on the Muskegon and the St Joe River. There's a lot of access on the PM, I'm not sure about wading access on the Muskegon because I was always in a powered drift boat/jet sled.

If you're looking for a callboat/guide Clint at Red Moose lodge in Baldwin great guy.

Not sure if you're from Michigan or not, but the one thing that really made an impression on me (FL native) Michigan game fish in Rivers love really horrible weather like terrible weather, miserable cold front... great, snow..... even better, snowing to beat hell and windy the fishing will be on fire.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go to the golf course and tell Brian DuckNut says hello. He runs the course.

Good luck. You're gonna have to study. That school ain't FSU but it will pay off for you.

What are you studying?
I'm studying biololgy

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
Most of my experience is in the SW side and up the East side a bit.

I second the P. Marquette, also had a ton of fun on the Muskegon and the St Joe River. There's a lot of access on the PM, I'm not sure about wading access on the Muskegon because I was always in a powered drift boat/jet sled.

If you're looking for a callboat/guide Clint at Red Moose lodge in Baldwin great guy.

Not sure if you're from Michigan or not, but the one thing that really made an impression on me (FL native) Michigan game fish in Rivers love really horrible weather like terrible weather, miserable cold front... great, snow..... even better, snowing to beat hell and windy the fishing will be on fire.
The best fishing is when the water ices up your guides. LOL

Also, if you can get out on a pier SAFELY when the ice starts melting you can catch all kinds of fish because they are gorging themselves on the bugs that were frozen in the ice and the rivers carry the buffet right to them. If you are in a boat it is called trash lining.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
No browns in the river now?
I was interested awhile back in doing a trip just for those, but hard to justify when you have Salmon/Steelhead in your back yard. We do have a few big browns out here but not in the rivers. Not even our sea run browns match what comes out of the Great Lakes.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
I was interested awhile back in doing a trip just for those, but hard to justify when you have Salmon/Steelhead in your back yard. We do have a few big browns out here but not in the rivers. Not even our sea run browns match what comes out of the Great Lakes.
The salmon get very territorial and will attack everything in their sight. So basically everything takes cover. The other trout will move in for the eggs when the salmon run slows as they won't be under constant attack.

There are browns that do hang around but to target them is futile. If you catch one it is by luck.

In the spring, you can catch walleye along side the steelhead.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
Plan your trip to coincide with the hex hatch and you will find them. No secret when this usually is but is a secret where the 24"+ ones live.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts