Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased one of these poles for my new Gheenoe because I had a budget but still wanted a carbon fiber pole. Coming from an old Moonlighter all fiberglass pole, I wanted something lighter. At first I was very skeptical mostly because of its price. The putting it together went very well and having joints in the pole also worried me. Well, now that I’ve had it a couple of months all the worries are gone. It’s super light, and stronger than I thought it would be. I got it in a bind that I thought would surely break it, and it survived. So if you’re like me on a budget but want something quality for less, this might work for you. In no way am I advertising this pole, just sharing a positive experience.

·
Panhandler
3,178 Posts
I recently ordered a MHX pole to try it. The build went well, but I'd recommend using blue tape on the ends to minimize clean-up. Once I got it together I was afraid it would be too limber. But after using it on a few trips now, including today chasing lockjaw reds, I'm happy with it, especially at that price point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently ordered a MHX pole to try it. The build went well, but I'd recommend using blue tape on the ends to minimize clean-up. Once I got it together I was afraid it would be too limber. But after using it on a few trips now, including today chasing lockjaw reds, I'm happy with it, especially at that price point.
I actually taped off as you just described and cleaned the squeeze out with some q tips with a little acetone and it’s hard to see the joint.

·
Registered
2019 Salt Marsh Heron 16
543 Posts
If you rotate the sections as you glue them together....you can somewhat align the carbon patterns so that the joint is not very noticeable.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,836 Posts
I love mine, trading it for a 9 lb. Glass pole was a no brainer. It's plenty stiff to push my flats boat. I better like it. I sold my other 2 glass poles now I'm down to my MHX which is great. Mine turned out to be 24' which is great, lots of push before you run out of pole

·
Bait Hater
588 Posts
When i bought my skiff it came with a MHX pole that i planned on replacing for a more expensive pole. Ive now used the MHX pole for over a year and see no reason to upgrade it. It is light and durable. Would not hesitate owning another.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have a MHX push pole that I purchased about 2 years ago from Mudhole. Its three-foot longer, lighter, and stiffer than the fiberglass pole that I had. I think the MHX is a great pole for the money and I’m very happy and satisfied with mine. I’m also not affiliated in anyway with the company that makes this pole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts