Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loking for a new 8wt , I have thrown the Scott tidal and do like that rod . Don’t have any Scott dealers anywhere near me . I know the meridian is raved about . Also always been interested in crosscurrent glx , just seems like a classic cannon . Going to hang an Everglades on the new stick . Figure it’s a little on the heavier side and might match the glx nicely .... can anyone give me a comparison of the two . I know there are both fast rods ... but I heard the meridian is a bit of both . Thanks guys

·
Registered
G3 16 CCJ
97 Posts
I have the Meridian 8. The other rods I use in the salt are a Method 6, BVK 7 and Method 9. My day-to-day fishing in home waters is rifle-shot casts into mangroves and around oyster bars with little need for delicacy. I use mostly brick-on-a-string type lines and casting style. The Meridian will do the rifle shots almost as well as the Methods but is much better for more delicate casts and close-in quick shots ... generally a more versatile rod. I’m going on a week-long bonefish trip in June and the Meridian will be my main rod. I would be worried if I were going to rely solely on one of the super-fast, less versatile rods for that trip. I haven’t cast the GLX you are comparing it with, but there’s some point of comparison for you anyway.

As far as reels go, my approach is always lighter-is-better, FWIW. I have a 7.5 oz Orvis Hydros on the Meridian 8 and it feels good to me. I would gladly go lighter on the reel, but that’s just my preference.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've owned both those rods. Meridian casts a lot lighter. CCGLX I think might have had more juice on tap for really long casts. If you get the Meridian new be sure to register it. I've broken mine twice now. Last time because the bottom section would constantly work loose - I would have to tighten it back up every hour or so. I forgot once, and it broke at the ferrule while casting. Use wax to keep those joints tight. I learned that lesson the hard way.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I’ve read that about the meridian a few times .... and read the ccglx and loomis rods are generally on the tougher side . Another reason I’m considering that rod . Have a Orvis Helios 2 it feels like a feather and I’ve broken it once already . Now I worry about it .

·
Registered
829 Posts
I own the CC GLX in 9&10 and meridian in 8. I would agree with most of what is said above, Meridian little faster and lighter. GLX has more power and seems like more durability.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
I’ve never broken my ccglx 12 on a fish
And I do my best to open up hooks to get the damn tarpon off once hooked
I also had an h2 and broke that 3 times so I retired it.
Ironically just today the tip top guide broke on my cc glx and it looks like it might have been from corrosion and not stress.
I’m not real happy about that but it’s 8 years old so I’m surprised I haven’t had any warranty work till now

·
I Love microskiff.com!
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input .... yeah I’m thinking more and more about the ccglx , but man I been lusting after a meridian for awhile ! Where you at Ted ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I fished the 8wt cc glx for years. The big redfish in my profile pic was landed with it. It is a truly do it all 8wt and does not break easily. They can be found used on the auction site for a good price. It is a bit heavier than the newer rods but that never bothered me.. i never got "fatigue" as they say.

I fished the meridian 8wt for about 2 hours on a flats trip. It was nice...not $900 nice in my opinion. If i found one used for $350 i would buy it and fish it.

For what its worth I sold my 8wt ccglx just because i wanted to try something new.

I now have an orvis recon 8wt and an Echo EPR 8wt. Both rods are great and do all i could ask them to do. I use the orvis for more sight fishing flats stuff and the Echo with a 300g sink line for our local california critters.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’d pick the Meridian if I wanted a light duty saltwater 8. It was on my short list when I re-rodded a few months ago. I bought a Salt HD because I wanted more of a “stick”. The in between rods for me were the Asquith and the Sage X. Can’t really go wrong within reason.

Meridian = standard weight line, normal to line size flies, good casting conditions.
Salt HD = when it gets as tough as an 8 can manage and you are able and willing to work for it.
Asquith = nice tight tippy loops, can take some pressure in harsher conditions.
X = excellent all around, outstanding in its all aroundness.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve never broken my ccglx 12 on a fish
And I do my best to open up hooks to get the damn tarpon off once hooked
I also had an h2 and broke that 3 times so I retired it.
Ironically just today the tip top guide broke on my cc glx and it looks like it might have been from corrosion and not stress.
I’m not real happy about that but it’s 8 years old so I’m surprised I haven’t had any warranty work till now
Recently went through their xpediter program with my ccglx 8wt for that exact same thing. Super easy process and had a brand new rod in just a couple days, was really impressed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
63 Posts
Have owned the Meridian for a year now.... best rod I’ve ever used. I fish in salt marsh creeks in St Augustine, and Mosquito Lagoon.... the Meridian is tough enough to handle the winds and the grasses in the creeks, yet subtle enough to finesse cast to spooky reds. Love the fact that they (Scott) stands behind their product, and they are a small company....watch the youtube vids... pretty darn cool that they are a small outfit producing one of the finest rods on the planet. Can’t got wrong.
My wife freaked at the cost, but a year later, and a thousand smiles later.... she knows it was worth it!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loking for a new 8wt , I have thrown the Scott tidal and do like that rod . Don’t have any Scott dealers anywhere near me . I know the meridian is raved about . Also always been interested in crosscurrent glx , just seems like a classic cannon . Going to hang an Everglades on the new stick . Figure it’s a little on the heavier side and might match the glx nicely .... can anyone give me a comparison of the two . I know there are both fast rods ... but I heard the meridian is a bit of both . Thanks guys[/QUOTE

I have 3 GLoomis Crosscurrent Pro 1s (1 9wt/ and 2 8wts) and a 8 wt NRX 4 piece. I can say with absolute confidence that the crosscurrent preforms just as good if not better than the nrx from 60-100 ft but the nrx does have a little more finesse in short pitches (the difference is almost unnoticeable with flies that aren’t heavily weighted). I currently use 2 of the crosscurrents and have a brand new 8wt with the sticker still on the cork in a sleeve priced at $405 but will be willing to sell at $350 or a little more if you want me to make a pvc tube for travel. The 9 and 8 wt I do use have had hundreds of days on the water in south padre island, tx and helped me land many redfish in the bay and some small amberjack and reef fish offshore. I would recommend the crosscurrent but not many people have the luxury of being able to leave a 1 piece rod somewhere. If you do call me if you want more pictures or are interested in the new 8 wt. (956)393-7821. Also have a Abel super 5n (great condition besides a small scratch on the drag side of the reel) that is being serviced to replace bearings/springs and just yearly maintenance that I would be interested in selling for $360 OBO. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I currently own both rods you're asking about. The Meridian is much more forgiving and easier to load. When I was learning I had a hard time with the CC GLX, that being said I have no issues with it now. As previously mentioned it's a bit heavier, but it feels as strong as my 9wt. The Meridian is a "softer" fast rod. I find the glx to be on the stiff side for an 8wt. Just my $.02.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts