Meridian 8 wt in Orlando

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by el9surf, May 12, 2017.

1. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an 8 wt meridian in orlando that I could lawn cast?

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

i'm in Texas - but headed to orlando for meeting next week (monday through sat) and bringing my 8wt meridian... Be there all week. I'm staying at the Hyatt associated with the convention center. Looks like there is green space around the convention center. If there is a time window that works for us both happy to lets you test drive it.

3. el9surf

Thanks,
    I will try and take you up on it. I live about an hour from there.

4. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Jaime was nice enough to let me cast some of his flyrods I was interested in a couple of years ago. Nice guy.

5. snookdlb

snookdlb Well-Known Member

go to Harry Goodes in Mel. Rich will let you cast what ever you want

6. el9surf

They don't have it in stock right now, same with Orlando outfitters.

7. snookdlb

i have a 7 weight in satellite beach if you want to try it

8. el9surf

I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately the same rod models don't always translate to the same feel as you change weights.

9. el9surf

I got a chance to cast the 8 wt meridian today, I just wish I had some other lines with me that I fish regularly.

I cast it with an 8 wt wulf btt and was casting into a 10-15 mph breeze.

I will start by saying the rod was a lot softer than I was expecting. Short cast were no issue, there was a ton of feel, the rod loaded great even at 30 ft. 50 ft again it felt amazing lots of feel, pretty accurate. 60 ft starting to feel a little overloaded and out past that a lot of my cast fell apart. I didn't feel like I could push the rod much. I will admit most of my other rods are faster so maybe I just needed more time with the rod to adjust my tempo. I felt like I had already slowed down quite a bit.

I'm not the world's best caster but 75 - 80 ft cast aren't typically an issue for me and a 70 ft cast into this type of wind is still usually in my ability. It didn't happen with this rod.

I like to think it was due more to the line pairing. Maybe a longer head line more true to weight would help it come alive past that 60 ft mark.

What lines are you guys throwing on it? At this point the sage x seems a lot more appealing. The finish and components on the meridian were impressive, just wish it had a little more horsepower.

10. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

never thrown the wulf lines on the meridian.

I've been playing with a few different lines over the last year.
    Rio redfish - great to 50 feet then cast started to fall apart - I do love the redfish line on my sage method 7 weight.
    Airflow Tropical punch - really like this one as seems to allow more distance.
    But I've gone back to the rio permit line on my 9 weight and think I
    l'll probably do the same with the 8 weight...

el9surf likes this.
  11. jsnipes

jsnipes Well-Known Member

I throw the Airflo clear tip or bonefish on my Meridians. Have also thrown SA lines on them and like them

12. snookdlb

I use the permit line on my 10 works great.

13. snookdlb

The meridian imo. is weighted correctly, it works best on the true gram weighted lines if that means anything. Those step up or quick fire lines don't throw well after 50 ft.

el9surf likes this.
  14. el9surf

For all the hype and raving reviews from just about everyone online selling this rod I was expecting a lot more. I had a chance to cast it again today with a different lighter line. It was marginally better, but I had to slow my cast way down. Still felt good in close but the 50 ft mark + was downhill.

I think this rod would cast well with some of the more compact lines if you underline it by 1 wt. Or if you want it to feel faster it needs a long head like a bonefish line that is true to weight.

15. tgjohnso

tgjohnso Well-Known Member

Man, how do I get your job?! I want to be going to meetings that require me to bring my fly rod on a plane.

Can I send you my CV?

el9surf likes this.
  16. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

Pretty sure you can bring your fly rod on your plane anytime you want.

tgjohnso likes this.