Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Meridian 2 Piece 11 wt - What line?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tailwalk 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Looked through some of the old threads and found some answers but wanted to get some current feedback. I have a 2 piece 11 wt meridian that I got for ridiculously cheap last year that I'm gonna keep on the skiff for Big Jack season in here in Charleston.

Interested what lines folks are using on this rod? Was gonna line up an intermediate reel and a floating reel for it. Think I have the intermediate figured out. I have tried a Rio Tarpon 11 on it and a SA Amp Tarpon 11 on it. SA is nearly line weight and Rio is just shy of 12 wt at 367 grain. I think the only options other than I can find that are in between at around 350 grains are SA Mastery Saltwater and Cortland Guide.

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm guessing the S4S and the Meridian have similar actions, since I think the Meridian replaced the S4S. Anyway, I've got the SA Mastery Tarpon 11 on my S4S 11wt 2 piece and really like it (very close to true weight, probably the same as your Amp Tarpon). It did take me a few practice sessions to get used to it, though, I think because I throw overweight lines so often for reds. Anyway, once I got the feel of it, I really liked it. I can stretch a cast out pretty far if I feel the need, I can get out to around 60' in 2 false casts (starting with the fly in my hand), and it's got enough feel to where I can still plop a little 30' cast out quickly if I have to. I actually liked it so much that I'm replacing all of my other rods with true-weight lines, and practicing some short cast techniques rather than relying on overweight lines.

I did also pick up the Cortland clear tarpon taper for fishing the Keys, but haven't thrown it yet. It's a true-to-weight line as well. If you are dead-set on finding something in between, I'd try the Cortland Guide you mentioned (though I would definitely give a true-weight line a few sessions). My buddy has that line in an 11wt and it throws very well on his Clutch Arc 11, which feels a lot faster/stiffer (I'm not expert enough to quantify those types of things) than my Scott. We're in Charleston, so let me know if you want to throw some one day -- I try to get out and practice on my lunch break or after work at least once a week. We can swap reels around so you can throw a few different lines.

#3 ·
I picked up the same rod this year for Tarpon. So far I’ve been really happy with SA Saltwater, Cortland Tarpon Taper, and Cortland Guide.

They’re all different tapers and weights, but some days one just feels better than the others. But overall, those 3 have particularly stood out to me as being a good match with the MS81011.

#4 ·
I'm interested to hear peoples' responses. I just got a 9 wt Meridian and it casts beautifully (for me) with a Wulff Triangle Taper Saltwater Intermediate (teal color). Unfortunately, getting a 30' grain weight for that line is like pulling teeth (or like measuring it myself which I could do but won't on principle because the internet should have already done it, damnit). The commentary over at SOL is that the teal lines are a "little light" or close to AFTMA. Anyway, that's coldwater and intermediate...you're interested in warmwater, floating lines.

Their 2-Tone Bermuda Triangle Taper floater has listed weight as 417 grains for the 11wt but that's the full head (which is 30'). The RIO Tarpon you mentioned is 367 at 30' and 430 for the full head (41'). So the the Wulff BTT is, in a way, a little lighter than the RIO.

You didn't say exactly, but from context I take it you thought the rio was a little heavy and the SA a little light (36' head with >340 grains). If you were getting all 41' of the RIO line in the air and it felt heavy, then the Wulff might be one to try.

#5 ·
Definitely have to work with both the lines a little bit more. No issue casting the SA Amp Tarpon - i can definitely generate more line speed than with the Rio. I'm also not crazy about the gumminess/stickiness that Rio lines develops.

I'm a big fan of Wulff BTT in lighter weights - and I underline them by one - use the 7 wt line on 8 wt exocett. I just know the 11 wt 2 piece meridian is a bit faster than the 4 piece. it seems crazy to me how much the grains jump up on the 11 and 12. You go from 310 on the 10 wt to 417 on the 11 wt.

#8 · (Edited)
Definitely have to work with both the lines a little bit more. No issue casting the SA Amp Tarpon - i can definitely generate more line speed than with the Rio. I'm also not crazy about the gumminess/stickiness that Rio lines develops.

I'm a big fan of Wulff BTT in lighter weights - and I underline them by one - use the 7 wt line on 8 wt exocett. I just know the 11 wt 2 piece meridian is a bit faster than the 4 piece. it seems crazy to me how much the grains jump up on the 11 and 12. You go from 310 on the 10 wt to 417 on the 11 wt.
I'd just stick with the SA Amp Tarpon if it felt right for you. It's true to line weight. The only other line I would try for that rod if you are trying to split hairs is the Cortland Liquid Crystal Tarpon in sky blue. I'd also have an intermediate line on a spare spool, just in case the fish are in deeper water and laying low.

Tho I like how the BTT lays a fly out straight, it's a rod wt heavier and will be harder to throw on that Meridian 2pcs and get the distance you need, when you need it. Otherwise, you can try it in the 10wt for the 11wt Meridian you have. I personally think that is the biggest flaw with the BTT. If I was you, i'd just stick with the other 2 lines in the paragraph above.

Ted

#6 ·
I like the true to weight lines on my 12, but that's a 4pc. I threw a 2pc 12 at a shop and I want to say it was with a cortland guide line. That's what I'd try first but I'd also compare with the cortland tarpon taper or the ghost tip. The 2pc 11 is probably my next tarpon stick so I'll be reading along...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.