Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get some first hand knowledge if I can. I’m restoring my 18’ sterling flats boat to include a new repower. I’m torn between the mercury 175 pro xs and the E-Tec 150 H.O. G2. I’m leaning towards the E-Tec for a cpl of reasons. Warranty, 2 stroke and maintenance. I’ve also been told the new mercury 175 pro xs won’t be available until the beginning of 2020 So I’d rather not wait that long. Has anyone on here had any dealings with Evinrudes warranty? I’d love to hear any pros and cons to both. If I’ve been informed correctly,I know I won’t be able to get any feedback on the 175 so if anyone is running the 150 pro xs, information on that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I’m an Evinrude guy (understatement). I’ve never had the slightest problem with their warranty service.

Remember though, make sure that you’re hooking up with a full service dealer with a good local reputation...

·
Registered
648 Posts
I hat terrible luck with a 175 pro xs on an 189 Egret it was constantly in the shop

Had an etec 60 that was always trouble w starting after the 2nd or 3rd fishing spot

I've Had great luck with yamaha and tohatsu

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are you also looking at the new ETEC I3 150? Probably not with a 175 merc as your other option but I have seen a lot of press about it recently.

I've been running a 60 ETEC for over a year and 120 hours. I bought it because of the 10 year warranty and a reputable dealer right around the corner from where I keep my boat (with pick up/drop off too!). Dealer service has been great and they took care of 2 small warranty concerns during my annual service with no trouble. I also follow the etecownersgroup.com forum and it seems that all posts about warranty experience are positive. However, even with no oil changes I doubt you will save significantly in maintenance if running in saltwater.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts