Mercury fuel cup for filter question 05 25hp 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Rookiemistake, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Rookiemistake

Rookiemistake Well-Known Member

Is there suppose to be gas in the cup that the filter sits in?my engine has been stalling every now and then when in nuetral.seems like a fuel system issue.so i changed the plugs today and looked in the cup and there was no gas but the engine runs.its connected to the cranking system.thanks rob

2. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be nearly full. When you squeeze the primer bulb on the hose from the tank, do you see the filter assembly fill with fuel?

3. Rookiemistake

Under further investigation theres nothing hooked up to it gas line runs straight to carb. What the hells that about anyone seen this?looks like previous owner bypassed the filter

4. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Yes, the previous owner of my current motor did the same thing. The guy was a bit of an idiot, hence the price I got the motor for. ;D

The carb had tons of gunk in it, almost blocking the jet. Now it runs great!

Here's a pic of the mis-routed fuel line. Look familiar? ::)
    [​IMG]

5. Rookiemistake

Yup same setup except my guel filter is hanging in the pic,gonna replace that today i guess. How was cleaning the carb? Pretty easy?

6. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Yeah, the guy removed it. ::) I bought a new one.

The carb is easy. I'd recommend buying a rebuild kit like I linked to below. It comes with all new gaskets, seals, fuel pump components, jet, needle valve, springs, etc...
    http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...nown&reqph=Unknown&reqItemCode=MM-13958237072

One thing to keep in mind, those kits typically don't come with a new float, so if you think you might need to replace your old one, buy it separately. I'm kinda OCD, so I like to replace everything while I've got it apart.