mercury 9.9 not spitting water

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by lawnservice321, Mar 23, 2011.

1. lawnservice321

lawnservice321 I Love microskiff.com!

My motor has been sitting for about 6 months, its a 96 9.9 2 stroke, I cant find anything online about how to change the impeller. Does anyone have a link or a writeup that can help me out? thanks

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Good thing is you will have cash Friday to buy an Impeller :)

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Plenty of vids and instructions available

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=gsih&pq=change%20impeller%20mercury%20outboard&xhr=t&q=change+impeller+mercury+9.9+outboard&cp=28&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=change+impeller+mercury+9.9+outboard&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=ff3e2739446bc197

4. lawnservice321

Yes it will be good timing friday for sure, it will give me a good weekend project. Bought the motor used and there is no telling when the last time the impeller has been replaced. Thanks for the links Brett for some reason when I searched google it kept giving me links to 90hp and above engines even when I typed in 9.9.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Same basic process for large or small outboards,
    or you can download an entire merc shop manual for your outboard
    and go at it with step by step instructions, pictures and torque specs

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288632807

Tips...

Use the free download option, download the desired rar file from the list, this one I think

http://rapidshare.com/files/213240334/6-8-9.9-10-15.rar

If you don't have a program to open rar files, you can download a free program called IZArc here

http://www.izarc.org/

When you extract the rar archive using IZArc you'll be asked for the password: "ribforum"

The section for lower units/impeller installation is in the number 6 pdf file

Yes, I tested the process to verify it worked, see?... ;)

6. lawnservice321

wow! thanks! I'm sure if you could virtually fix my outboard it would already be done. thanks again

7. lawnservice321

I downloaded the program and opened the file but my computer will not uncode the program when I open it, it just has a bunch of random numbers and letters, I'll try to have a friend open it for me on their computer.

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Did you use IZarc?

9. lawnservice321

Yes I downloaded that and opened the files with it, but it won't decode it for some reason.

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

11. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

As a side note, and once you get done replacing your water pump you should always keep a length of weed-wacker/trimmer line in your boat or tackle bag. It's thin yet stiff enough to get up in the motor's pee hole to clear obstructions when it's not pumping water.

I coil mine up and zip tie it to something under the seat/console. Bright orange so it's easy to find when you need it!

[​IMG]

It can save the day, or better yet, your motor!

-T

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Hornets love to pack mud in there to start a nest.