Mercury 20hp no spark

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Morgan_Duett, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Morgan_Duett

Morgan_Duett Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 mercury 20hp 2 stroke it has compression it has fuel but no spark, it ran with a sluggish (sounded like one cylinder was firing) so I replaced the plugs and one plug wire was broken so I put a new wire on too and it ran like a scalded dog for about 1 hr went back to the boat ramp and had my buddy get the trailer and it stalled about 4 times but kept turning back on. Got back to the house and it turned on and cut off before I could wash it out now there's no spark at all?

2. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Well, if you have no spark in either cylinder my guess would be stator, assuming there's no short to ground somewhere. Could be several other things, but in my experience the stator fails more often than just about anything else.

Here's some easy tests you can do to help diagnose the issue. I didn't write them. They were copied from someplace on the interweb long ago...

3. Morgan_Duett

Thanks ham I'll do some tests tomorrow!

4. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Those instructions only test the resistance, you will need a DVA to test the charge coil outputs on the stator/trigger. Also if it is an eletric start disconnect the regulator/rectifier and see if you have spark.

5. Morgan_Duett

It is electric start I'll try that too

6. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

You want to listen to Creek, he knows his chit. :)

Most of us don't have a DVA though, so I have successfully diagnosed bad stators many times using those instructions. Doesn't mean it'll work in every case, but I've not ever had a misdiagnosis thus far.

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

7. RTS

RTS I Love microkona.com!

Yeah but check the obvious first.

Check your kill switch especially if you added a tiller extension. Go ahead, ask me how I know [smiley=frustrate2.gif] [smiley=frustrate2.gif]

8. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Lol...that is the very first step in the instructions, btw. ;)

9. Morgan_Duett

10. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Glad you found out what it was. :) At least it's an easy fix and not too terribly expensive to replace.