Merc parts

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by oysterbreath, Jun 30, 2013.

1. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

I've been searching out web sites for used Merc parts. I can't find much. Anyone know any good ones?

2. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

I've got a good spare prop if need for a 90 Merc.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Outside of the dealers themselves the only place I have consistently found parts is Boats.net

Gotta warn you though, you may be waiting a while.

4. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

This. I waited almost a month once for a carb jet from boats.net

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

If you are looking for parts for the motor you recently picked up, that is going to be tough as most of the part have been obsolete for several years.

You are going to need to get a good source for schematic and a list of motor junkyards.

6. oysterbreath

Thanks guys. Ducknut, yep, it is for that motor I bought. I've talked to the boat.net people. They've said they don't have the parts...but cane get them. To me, that translates into, "they'll buy them from somewhere else, mark up the price, then sell it to me." I don't like middle men!

7. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Better you than me, oyster...I've done my time tearing down parts motors.
    Very few marine salvage yards that deal with used outboards.

Have you tried these guys? http://www.marinepartsoutlet.com/

8. disporks

disporks I Love microskiff.com!

What type of merc and what year what parts do you need? Pm me because I may forget to check back at this thread.

9. oysterbreath

Nope but I will give them a call too. I'm flip-flopping all over the place these days. Today alone I changed my mind 3 times, remote > tiller > remote. I called 3 different places too.

10. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Remote!!!
    Deep down you know u want to!..
    If youve ever taken apart a brokn tiller arm you'll know that a tiller isnt really "more simple, less parts to break"..
    Its about the same, minus the arm cramps and you got somethin to hold onto with a steering wheel.

I was reading a thread on the hull truth about people that have experienced rays jumping while the vessel was under way and taking peoples heads off and stuff. Makes me glad I got a console to hide behind ;D

11. disporks

disporks I Love microskiff.com!

Ive been back and forth between remote and tiller and even though I keep deciding to stay tiller, every time I make a long run I'm wishing I had remote steering...Gonna save that for my next boat now that I for sure know that's what I want.

12. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Did you try smalloutboard.com ? They might have what you need.

13. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

I've always had good luck with iShopMarine. Never had a problem getting parts for my '86 merc thru them.
    http://www.ishopmarine.com/

14. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

what merc parts do you need?? i have a couple of mercs sitting up..and i have a merc mechanic that has a pretty good collection of parts motors...