Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing the outboard functions today on my merc 40 2 stroke and while testing the choke solenoid, it was causing the dmm to beep without the push to choke being pressed. Is this the normal operation?

I was under the impression that only engages and should cause a continuity beep when the key switch is depressed just like how the oil tank only beeps the continuity when the float is down and reads 0 continuity in normally operation.

My merc choke solenoid has a ground wire to the block and a yellow power wire to the harness, so I tested it that way with my dmm...one lead to block ground and the power lead to the yellow qd from the solenoid...

·
Sight Fishing South Florida
833 Posts
Outboard merb used different systems. They had a thermal, and an enrichener that gravity fed from to float to the carbs when choke button pushed. It would b 12v when choke pushed. The thermal just restricted air to idle circuit til engine warm then opened 4 air to enter idle circuit.

Hes wrong u wil c continuity all the time. It just gets 12 v when key pushed in.

Hopes this helps dude....

·
Sight Fishing South Florida
833 Posts
Just read rest of this didnt see whole thing. This is normal operation it should have blk grd to block and ylw/blk to ctrl box which is where it gets 12v when choke pushed in on key.

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just read rest of this didnt see whole thing. This is normal operation it should have blk grd to block and ylw/blk to ctrl box which is where it gets 12v when choke pushed in on key.
I just assumed it was working, I gave up ;D

It works when manually pushed in with the button on top, and I tested the 'remote' choke by listening for a 'click' sound when the key is depressed. I heard a click so figured it was good.

If I press the choke too many times it floods the engine, so I also assume that means its working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1991 40hp force motor. My choke soeniod does not work. I get 4 volts at the soleniod when pushing in to choke. When I take the soleniod wire off I have 12.6 volts at the wire. Any ideas why I am getting a voltage drop. I can run a wire straight from battery and the soleniod works. Any help would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts