Merc choke solenoid always open for ohm test?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Dillusion, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I was testing the outboard functions today on my merc 40 2 stroke and while testing the choke solenoid, it was causing the dmm to beep without the push to choke being pressed. Is this the normal operation?

I was under the impression that only engages and should cause a continuity beep when the key switch is depressed just like how the oil tank only beeps the continuity when the float is down and reads 0 continuity in normally operation.

My merc choke solenoid has a ground wire to the block and a yellow power wire to the harness, so I tested it that way with my dmm...one lead to block ground and the power lead to the yellow qd from the solenoid...

2. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Outboard merb used different systems. They had a thermal, and an enrichener that gravity fed from to float to the carbs when choke button pushed. It would b 12v when choke pushed. The thermal just restricted air to idle circuit til engine warm then opened 4 air to enter idle circuit.

Hes wrong u wil c continuity all the time. It just gets 12 v when key pushed in.

Hopes this helps dude....

3. Capt. Eli Whidden

Just read rest of this didnt see whole thing. This is normal operation it should have blk grd to block and ylw/blk to ctrl box which is where it gets 12v when choke pushed in on key.

4. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I just assumed it was working, I gave up ;D

It works when manually pushed in with the button on top, and I tested the 'remote' choke by listening for a 'click' sound when the key is depressed. I heard a click so figured it was good.

If I press the choke too many times it floods the engine, so I also assume that means its working.

5. Capt. Eli Whidden