Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about repowering my 15'HPX with a Merc 40hp efi.My motor now is a Yam 07 40hp which runs fine but it is 12yrs old.The Yam weighs 197lb and the Merc weighs 204lb.Has anyone had experience with this and any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
I run a 2001 Yamaha 70TLRZ and bought a backup in case I need to have the block rebuilt I would have a spare powerhead or whole motor to swap. I personally wouldn’t trade a 2 stroke Yamaha for anything else. They are bulletproof and light.

G

·
Is the merc a new motor? The weight difference is negligible. If you are set on a new motor then I wouldn’t hesitate... you will lose some hole shot with the four stroke though. If you know the Yami well and she’s runnin good, I’d just leave well enough alone until the day comes when she starts the nickle and dime crap that eventually comes with age. Until then... drive it like ya stole it!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Aren't the 40/50, and 60 mercs hecho in China? The Thoatsu 40/50 is 209 pounds and they are releasing a new 60 that's lighter than their current Honda rebadge 60.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the merc a new motor? The weight difference is negligible. If you are set on a new motor then I wouldn’t hesitate... you will lose some hole shot with the four stroke though. If you know the Yami well and she’s runnin good, I’d just leave well enough alone until the day comes when she starts the nickle and dime crap that eventually comes with age. Until then... drive it like ya stole it!
The yam is a 4stroke too.very bad hole shot now.top end at at 5500 is 29-30.motor is carbed also.yes Merc is brand new

1 - 5 of 5 Posts