Menu Item...Texas Redfish??!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HaMm3r, Nov 13, 2008.

1. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

My wife and I had dinner at a very upscale seafood restaurant last night, and one of the entrees was titled "Texas Redfish". Well, I of course, had to inquire about this particular item, and our waiter proceeded to tell me all about this saltwater flats species that is caught wild, which I'm oh so familiar with. Then when I enlightened him to my extensive knowledge of redfish and questioned the legality of selling it commercially, he had to go ask his manager. He then came back and claimed they were farm raised. ::)

So, I'm asking the experts...have you ever heard of this within the last twenty years? Legally selling redfish? I didn't order it for obvious reasons, but if the description was accurate, they were definitely serving up our beloved tailers! :mad:

2. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

texas redsfish is agaist the law!  U must catch your own!   They are not allowed to catch redfish Commercially!!!!

texas redfish = exotic fish! [smiley=supercool.gif]

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.emerils.com/restaurant/6/Emerils-Orlando/dinner-menu

http://www.emerils.com/recipes-search?keywords=redfish&category=&sort_by=title

http://www.seafoodsource.com/PDT-357350/CleanFish/Texas-Redfish.aspx

4. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Farm raised. Thanks Brett for the links. "Spot" on again! ;)

5. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

Product Name:   Texas Redfish

As with other popular fish, redfish was too delicious for its own good. Drastically overfished a few decades ago, it is now a commercially protected species. But unlike many other similar stories in seafood history, this one has a happy ending. CleanFish has discovered a family farm that has cultivated Texas Redfish naturally and sustainably for over twenty years. This farm, one of the few certified by the Environmental Protection Agency, continuously works with researchers from Texas A & M to develop and improve their sustainable practices. Perfect for sashimi, crudo and ceviche, Texas Redfish is an exceptional fish you can feel good about eating. We are pleased to present the return of this classic American fish to our tables. -Only Redfish farm permitted by EPA -All natural- no hormones, antibiotics or pesticides - On site hatchery

FARM RAISED REDFISH IS JUST WRONG!  IMHO :-/

6. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Ah sweet! Farm-raised I can stomach, literally. Next time, I'll have to give it a try. :)

7. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

Brett really has this interweb thingy down pat. I don't think it will ever really catch on tho.

8. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

http://www.cleanfish.com/pdfs/info_sheet%20_texas_redfish.pdf

Where's the spot? ;D

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Emeril likes his plates "spotless!" ;)

10. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

Yeah, I wonder if all of the farm raised ones are spotless. Or maybe Emeril only orders the ones without spots. If I catch one without a spot in the Tomudka, and since it doesn't have a spot, can I assume it is an escapee? Could they actually get here all the way from Texass? ;D

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Texas to Florida...hmmmmm
    only by spud gun direct...

:D

Houston...we have a problem...

That would explain that raining fish
    article in the Daytona News-Journal
    a few years back....

12. redfish

redfish Well-Known Member

Yep, there are farm-raised reds. Even the Dudas' in Oviedo have messed with it. I ate some of theirs smoked a few years back. Oh, and the farm-raised ones will knock the crap out of a 1/0 hair-bug. Gary Gray, the taxidermist in Oviedo, had me tie a couple of flies for him so that they could see if a red that had only seen pellets all of its life had the instinct to forage on bait-like fish. They destroyed the sliders. BTW, the smoked reds were better'n good!

13. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

What are the chances of me gettin to fish these farm raised redfish.......you know.......for comparison sake and all.

14. redfish

redfish Well-Known Member

Heck, I don't even know where they're at. :-X