Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a twin vee w/ Suzuki 140s that he neglects and has been sitting at a marina for about a year without starting. I am trying to help him get it back up and running. Can I change the oil with the boat still in the water? I’ve heard of a hose you can hook directly to the drain and let it drip into a pan. As for the gas he wants to add high octane gas to both tanks - he has about 30 gallons of old gas sitting in each tank and I couldn’t convince him to pump it out before starting. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Can I change the oil with the boat still in the water?
Engine oil? Sure. Lower unit oil? Not a chance. You can pump engine oil out through the dipstick tube but you should probably have the marina haul the boat out anyway on account of the lowers needing service.

he wants to add high octane gas to both tanks
That's cool but it doesn't make any sense and if the boat runs then there is no sense in pumping the tanks.

Any thoughts?
Give everything a once over, charge it up, hit the go button.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe there are laws on transferring oil over water... u don't want to learn the laws the hard way... not 100 percent on this but u probably need to do some homework.... I hate having to pay that learners tax....

·
Registered
50 Posts
If that gas is 6 months or more without any stabilizer it better get pumped out. The majority of engine issues are fuel delivery. I would completely drain the tank dry via syphon as much as possible, change the fuel filters and dump fuel/water separators. With clean gas...run a mix of about a gallon or two with Barryman B12 through this before u refill tank.

The last part is the one of the best mechanical advice u will ever get. Sea foam is nothing compared to the b12.

Not all fuel delivery issues are immediately noticeable. I have 2 friends damage their 115yam recently due to undiagnosed injector issues. Both ran fine until they burt all the oil.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that gas is 6 months or more without any stabilizer it better get pumped out. The majority of engine issues are fuel delivery. I would completely drain the tank dry via syphon as much as possible, change the fuel filters and dump fuel/water separators. With clean gas...run a mix of about a gallon or two with Barryman B12 through this before u refill tank.

The last part is the one of the best mechanical advice u will ever get. Sea foam is nothing compared to the b12.

Not all fuel delivery issues are immediately noticeable. I have 2 friends damage their 115yam recently due to undiagnosed injector issues. Both ran fine until they burt all the oil.
I agree with you about the gas. But will it be tough to siphon and dispose of 60 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Remember as well that no motor warranty (if that rig is still within warranty...) covers damage done to a motor by bad fuel.... Check out fuel services in your area for one that also offers bad/old/stale fuel pump outs.... That might be your best way to go.

I was told by a real master mechanic (was an outboard offshore racer in the early days when wild men destroyed boats racing the Miami to Bahamas run) that current fuels were much, much less stable than most knew - and they started breaking down chemically only 30 days after purchase... That was many years ago and I doubt that's improved one bit since then....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I convinced him to pump the gas out by a professional company that will clean the tanks. My friend wants to add a couple of ounces of Marvel mystery oil to the original engine oil which was changed one year ago. Do you think that will suffice until we get a chance to change it? Is there a risk of not changing the oil?

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
132 Posts
Using StaBil in your fuel will let it last for almost a year. I have not used my boat for 7 months and ran it 38 miles yesterday with no problems. I learned the hard way about using StaBil after the boat sat for 6 months after a hurricane. The carb needles and seats all stuck closed, even though I started it once a week. Don't put Marvel Mystery oil in the engine oil. There is no mechanic in a can. Pump the oil out or pull the boat out of the water to drain it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts