Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

May move up to bigger metal boat, SeaArk or Alumacraft

21139 Views 75 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  dam540
Have been approached by several folks that asked about the 1648/jet in the barn. Wish it was an 1860 and I'm considering a prop tunnel. I know it's been discussed several times here, compare jet to prop tunnel.

The SeaArk dealer is closer by and honestly a bare bones hull/trailer is pretty reasonably priced, way less than I expected. What ever way it goes, it will be a tiller steer if the 1648 sells.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Carpe Diem
1,957 Posts
I fish out of Yankeetown and run a Seaark 1872 MVT tiller steer prop powered by an Etec 90. This is the only boat I've ever kept for more than a year or two, and I've owned a lot of boats. I consider it the ultimate rig for this area.

I've also owned a few jets, but I found they were relatively slow and uneconomical compared to a prop and that the slight difference in draft makes little difference. In the summer, weed is a big problem for a jet. I think the OP is on the right track. It may sound like blasphemy, but I might even consider running without a tunnel just for the improved performance. No one around here who has any brains runs on plane anywhere that's not on a previously mapped out track, and a non-tunnel can run shallow enough to stay out of trouble on most reasonable tracks.

· Registered
4,533 Posts
I have heard good things about Sea Ark

Great warranty !

They don't just ship you a can of gel coat and tell you to fix it your self !!!

· Registered
4,533 Posts
Quality for sure :)

SeaArkBoats, a Correct Craft Company, share one goal; to build the toughest boat on the market. The SeaArk team is made up of generations and families of Master Craftsman who have obtained the skills and experience to make this happen. Built one at a time by men and women who share the love of the outdoors and understand that hunting and fishing are not just a hobby but a way of life. We understand the importance of only having to concentrate on tasting the sweet victory of a trophy catch or a limit and not having to worry with the durability of a boat. Even the untrained eye can see that SeaArk surpasses the competition by using superior parts in the construction, such as larger extruded caprails, heavier 3/16" extruded center keels, thicker aluminum construction, thicker tread plate floors, and oversized ribs. This is who we are. Our way of life. Join the SeaArk family and have a Boat Built fora Lifetime.

· Registered
4,533 Posts
Anybody else offer this ??? Buler ... Buler ...

LIFETIME WARRANTY AGAINST HULL PUNCTURE

SeaArk Boats warrants, to the first retail buyer, its manufactured boats built after September 8, 2017, products against hull puncture. Hull puncture is defined as penetration through the aluminum bottom or side plating caused by collisions with submerged objects, other vessels, or docking facilities during normal use of the vessel.

· Registered
223 Posts
I spent a week in three SeaArk boats on the Wabash River for a work project a couple years ago. Those things were tanks, not real pretty or flashy, but solid assed performers.

There were owned but a commercial river construction/support business so they were not treated with kid gloves. The “captains” piloting them had nothing but good things to say about them.

· Registered
695 Posts
FWC has one down in the Pine Island area and that thing is bad ass. If I could fit one in my garage I would get one as soon as I could. Gets really shallow and would make an all around great inshore boat for the area.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,644 Posts
Sabine?

Tiller Package - $29,000
Console Package - $32,500

Not really any value there.

You can buy a heck of a nice Maverick, or Super Skiff for those prices.
Builders that give boats away don’t make it. Sabine doesn’t build production boats, they are custom aluminum skiffs with ONE PIECE caps. Comparing a Sabine to a jon boat is apples to oranges and NO you can’t buy a new Maverick or Superskiff for $30k.

· I Love microskiff.com!
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Planning on a hull that will work the northwest mountain rivers in NC, VA, TN.

I sometimes fish the Pamlico/Albemarle and tribs, and out to Harkers/Cape Lookout.

The shop that modified this 1648 is Mike Watson Welding in Bluff City, TN. Spoke with him this morning, he says he can get it set up with a jackplate and 70hp to run like a jet, caveat, it may take a few more bangs on the foot.

The dealer says $5,400 on a heavy trailer, bare bones, no outboard. I'll put in a wood floor, well treated and easy to remove for repairs and cleaning. All I need extra is an in-deck 18gal fuel tank option. I really like the cap rails.

Mike builds a very interesting tunnel, the bass tourney outlawed jets AND his tunnel design for props. His clients (pros) were catching too many fish because they could get where the others couldn't and the sponsors/manufactures got antsy.

I'm not a faceboob member, but there are 400 pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/people/Mike-Watson/100000367116363

· I Love microskiff.com!
2022 East Cape Evo X
563 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of a MV1872 bare hull and having a welder do the 12" gunnels/rod lockers, deck and then installing a half-tower console (like a Young Gulfshore 20 or Banshee Extreme) and poling platform. All in might be reasonable and definitely the best boat type for that area.

When you hit limestone in a $40K++ Mav or Superskiff it's gonna hurt a lot more, cost a lot more, and take longer to fix than when you bounce off in a SeaArk.

· I Love microskiff.com!
679 Posts
^ that boat is the ideal rig for running the rock hell that is the area between Crystal River and Horseshoe Beach. I rock a prop tunnel myself. What I like about it is that you can afford to run a wider hull faster than you could with a jet. With a jet you need max HP, no question. Whatever the max is you need it. With a prop tunnel a 60 or 70 horse motor will do the job in most of the 1660/1860 size prop tunnel hulls. The downside is that it won't run as shallow. In this game of rock bottom inches matter. You will be amazed where you can go when the only limiting factor is the bottom of the boat dragging. You can get into and out of places most people will never get to go to.

· Registered
15 Posts
Take a look at Extreme Boats. You choose the hull thickness .125 or .190! Same with side thickness and 24" height. You decide on tiller or sc and hull design ie MV and casting areas. I have only the website info - have not seen one in person. But it is impressive

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.