Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Can someone please explain the differences between these older Maverick models? I have searched here and mbg forum and I'm coming up short of consistent info. I'm looking to buy a skiff and would love to get something that will perform and look like a modern skiff, but can be picked up a little cheaper due to age. I've landed on these three Maverick models due to their fanfare. Boat will be for use in South Fl and Everglades.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A lot of info regarding the hull designs over the years on the MBG site. Basically, the Mirage 1 was Maverick's intro into the "technical poling skiff" market in 92. Boat hull was reportedly derived off the Banana River skiff, and the original SuperSkiff hull design. Hull had a following--quiet, poles well. They redid the hull and deck in 96/ Basically same hull, but addressed issues with the 1. The HP came out in 98 as their transition to the HPX line. Still more or less the same hull as original Mirages 1 and 2. Less freeboard and weight. HPX-V is their current hull--updated hull/build methods--much lighter hull. Many believe this hull as the best overall compromise for ride/poleabilty for it's size. Don't believed it has changed much since intro in 2001 in design. Maybe different build methods, addressing heavier engines, etc. Their V2 is just updated deck layout. All boats were basically designed for the areas I'm assuming you're fishing--Biscayne Bay, Key's/Florida Bay...
Of course there are their variances off those hulls--the Micro, HPX15, HPX Tunnel, HPX 18--am sure I'm missing a few--tight lines!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looking at that brochure it had a SC option. I swear I don't think I have ever seen a side console. I had the best fishing day of my life in a Mirage1 in Big Pine. They are great Keys boats. But not super skinny.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
HP is a smaller cap boat at 16.5 vs the 17.2 Mirage II. Hull is similar, and could be lighter if its a Kevlar one.

HP has recessed trim tabs.

HP has a symmetrical rear deck layout, with center and larger livewell, not plumbed if I recall.

HP has unusual drain holes drilled in the hatch gutters.

(Mirage II has the gunnel grab rails for easy ID)

Saw this posted on mbg yesterday so I copied it over

1 - 9 of 9 Posts