SOLD/EXPIRED Maverick 17 micro, Mitzi 17, Ankona Cayenne, Scout 177?

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Strauss_W, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Strauss_W

Strauss_W I Love microskiff.com!

Have been researching skiffs for sometime now and still cant decided on one that wont break the wallet too bad. We have been looking at a used maverick 17micro, 17 mitzi, ankona cayenne, and also the new scout 177. Anyone got any opinions on these boats or first hand experience with any of these models? We would be fishing in charleston sc and georgetown. The rides to the fishing spots arent to long so riding over chop would not be too big of an issue but in any skiff you are bound to get wet at some point. Thanks for any response.

2. Kane_Thorp

Kane_Thorp I Love catching reds!!

I'd say maverick or Mitzi.

3. Strauss_W

Any experience with the with maverick or mitzi? I have fished a hewes whichs rides great but getting one new is just too expensive. Used maverick micros and mitzis seems to be priced reasonable just never fished a mitzi...

4. TheBrazilNut

TheBrazilNut Guest

What is your budget?

I have an Ankona SUV17 which I had built last year @ 12K or so. 90% of the time I pole the skiff.....but, I just got back a few hours ago running the Beaches out of Port Canaveral. Seas were 2'-3' no issues ,no scary moments and bone dry. One Tarpon jumped and one landed. :)

Here is an older picture of my skiff as I would include this model with the others you are looking at.

[​IMG]

5. messier69

messier69 Red Hot Fishing Charters

You're comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy, Kia, and Hyundai. Jump on the Maverick and you will never be happier. Not to mention if for some reason you want to sell the boat, of all the boats listed the Maverick has the best resale value of all!!!

Once you go with a Mav, you will make everyone wish they have!!!

6. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

If your going to spend the money on a Mav then you should look into a ECC Caimen or Lostmen... Better boat IMHO... I can hear the critics coming now... ;D

7. zmgsvt

zmgsvt I Love microskiff.com!

Had a Mitzi, now have a Maverick. From top to bottom, one end to the other its the most impressive boat I've fished. I did a ton of wet tests before the Mitzi. The Maverick hands down will make you happy every time you step into it.

8. Strauss_W

ZMGSVT1- were you disappointed with your Mitzi at all? How did you like it? Mitzi just seems right for the budget unless I just keep hunting for a used maverick.

9. dingdangdoo

dingdangdoo I LOVE FISHING

http://www.mbcforum.com/showtopic.php?tid/51293/

better jump on this one QUICK!!

10. zmgsvt

zmgsvt I Love microskiff.com!

Wasn't disappointed at all! Great boat, I know the Ankona crowd will chime in but I did a wet test on a Mitzi and SUV. I liked the Mitzi better. Doesn't mean it is but do yourself a favor and wet test as many as possible.

Like Kyle said, it's comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai.

I've seen some good deals on Dolphins lately, thats a good alternate route. I'd still jump on a Hpx micro in a hurry.

11. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Ingman Marine next to the Sarasota/ Bradenton Airport has a 17 Micro that was decked out by Carbon Marine that they are selling. It's used and not on an amaritrail so it could save you some $. Till yami 40 4 stroke, bonefish grey, small power pole, carbon polling platform/casting platform, carbon grab bar with carbon switch box.

12. dhenderson

dhenderson I Love microskiff.com!

That Maverick is poorly taken care of. I had him send me pictures of the compartments....looked like a science experiment. Not to mention all the small cracks all along the deck.

13. dingdangdoo

dingdangdoo I LOVE FISHING

what are you expecting from a used boat? Immaculate and pristine showroom condition? I knew when i bought my boat used it's not gonna be perfect and i was fine with it as long as it wasn't a show stopper but i can deal with minor imperfections.

14. TheBrazilNut

TheBrazilNut Guest

Nice! LOL, but I'll take a Hells Bay, ECC, Beavertail, Ankona etc.........and be able to build a Complete Custom Skiff then buy what's left on a Maverick Dealer's lot.

Have you ever thought that your Poling Platform and Casting Platform were supposed to go on a 18 HPX or are you just under 5'?

[​IMG]

15. breakin70

breakin70 I Love microskiff.com!

Have you been on that boat? I have fished it several times and that casting platform is the tits. Sheesh, Ankona owners sure get upset when better boats are mentioned in the discussion.

16. TheBrazilNut

TheBrazilNut Guest

Why would you think that my Ankona Skiff is my only skiff or anyone else on here? Better skiff?

17. messier69

messier69 Red Hot Fishing Charters

Thanks for the advertising!!!  You may have just sold the inquirer a Maverick with that picture right there.
    WWW.FLORIDAFISHINGADVENTURES.COM

The debate boils down to: Do you have to spend Maverick money to get a quality product or can you get by with an Ankona?

Sure you can get by with an Ankona and impress everyone on this site for saving 10k on your brand new flats boat.  But you honestly get what you pay for.

Keep in mind there is a reason you can find certain boats on this forum for sale all the time.  I have been looking for 6 months for an HPX-V to go along with my HPX-T and they are tough to come by.

My question to you BrazilNut is why do Ankona owners build a boat and then sell it a year or 2 later?   

18. DEEK

DEEK I Love microskiff.com!

No criticism, just agreement, although they are hard to find.

19. TheBrazilNut

TheBrazilNut Guest

Sorry Wstrauss about the derail. Post this in the general section and you will get better answers.

20. breakin70

breakin70 I Love microskiff.com!

It's been a few hours so I couldn't remember. I still can't find where I said you only owned a skiff by Ankona. Can't find where I said it about all the other members who own one either. Am I missing anything? I did say better skiff though. One for three is ok in baseball but that's about it. I have been on a SUV and a Maverick. I didn't know people thought the Ankona was better then the Maverick, price excluded. Just me though, barely worth the two cents.