Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
That Marquesa was very carefully designed for a specific range of motors.... Why would you want to overpower it (and add weight in the stern that it absolutely does not need...)?

A year or two back I got to run a Marquesa that was set up with a big heavy motor (and just to compound the weight problem... it had a jack plate so the weight of the motor really acted on the stern of that skiff...). I didn't say much to the owner about it since I'll run anyone's skiff if that's what I'm booked for... Can't remember what size the motor was - but I do remember how much of a hassle it was to pole since the motor was set back from the transom with that jackplate... I thought then that if it was mine - the jackplate would be the first thing to go - and right after it that heavy motor...

Each to his own. I'm certain you could run that setup all day long with a trolling motor - but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Marquesa was very carefully designed for a specific range of motors.... Why would you want to overpower it (and add weight in the stern that it absolutely does not need...)?

A year or two back I got to run a Marquesa that was set up with a big heavy motor (and just to compound the weight problem... it had a jack plate so the weight of the motor really acted on the stern of that skiff...). I didn't say much to the owner about it since I'll run anyone's skiff if that's what I'm booked for... Can't remember what size the motor was - but I do remember how much of a hassle it was to pole since the motor was set back from the transom with that jackplate... I thought then that if it was mine - the jackplate would be the first thing to go - and right after it that heavy motor...

Each to his own. I'm certain you could run that setup all day long with a trolling motor - but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice...
It’s rated up to a 150....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think that would be one big.....squat. I've seen a HB add with WAY to large of an engine on the back and the skiff had barely 3" of free board. No way I would put a 150 on a Marquesa. Defeats the purpose, unless you never plan to fish shallow water.
Best,
Matt

·
Registered
517 Posts
^^^^ What he said. I have an 05 with a New Suzuki 90, with three people this morning spin/fly gear, TM (3 batteries) and big cooler we topped out 37-39mph, cruise 31-33. It’s still a very good poling boat with a 90. Anything Over a 115 and it’ll squat. I think the Yamaha 2 stroke 90 would be the best motor for this boat. Otherwise get an 189 Egret if your not gonna be poling.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
^^^^ What he said. I have an 05 with a New Suzuki 90, with three people this morning spin/fly gear, TM (3 batteries) and big cooler we topped out 37-39mph, cruise 31-33. It’s still a very good poling boat with a 90. Anything Over a 115 and it’ll squat. I think the Yamaha 2 stroke 90 would be the best motor for this boat. Otherwise get an 189 Egret if your not gonna be poling.
No one listens even if you own the boat they are asking about. Hell why not hang a 175 on it and run 60 then swamp it every time you come off plane? Just run the bilge all the time! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, a Suzuki 90 weighs 340 lbs. A mercury pro xs 150 weighs 460. Trolling motor batteries about 30lbs each. Probably only go with a 24 volt with batteries up front.
So between batteries and motor your looking at 430lbs, I’d be looking about 520.
There will also rarely be more than 2 people total on the boat and both me and my partner weighing around 150. So just the weight in people makes up for the difference.
You can also order the boat with extra rear floatation to counter a little of that extra weight.
And with that power the hole shot would be insane, and if you know how to drive a boat you won’t take water over the back slowing down.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,288 Posts
You can also order the boat with extra rear floatation to counter a little of that extra weight.
And with that power the hole shot would be insane, and if you know how to drive a boat you won’t take water over the back slowing down.
How are they adding rear flotation? Making the boat longer or wider?

G

·
How are they adding rear flotation? Making the boat longer or wider?
I was about to ask the same thing. And... if it is added foam to offset the weight of a heavier motor then it needs to be in there always for that purpose and not an add on if they are trying to stick with coast guard level flotation standards. Even so, won’t do any good until the boat sinks, will actually add weight and therefore more draft!:)

G

·
flotation foam does zero to float a boat higher unless the hull is full of water. all it does is displace water that would otherwise get into empty compartments when a boat is swamped.
Same speech, different podium.;) It does add weight though which in turn adds draft.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,734 Posts
Is it worth getting over a 115?
NO

There were a few, but they took them off because that extra weight made the boat draft too much and way harder to pole. Adding trolling motor batteries for balance just makes poling even harder. May as well remove the poling platform. Mine is rated for 145hp max.

Even the guys I know that that had 150's on Maverick HPX 18 V's went down to 115's and love poling their boats now.

I ran WOT from thunderstorms this morning at 45 mph with a Yamaha F115LB (NOT SHO) turning 5700 with the SCD3R21P prop HB gave me. Considering the way strong wind gusts can blow the boat around and how the boat will sometime launch while running that fast in sloppy chop I wouldn't risk going any faster.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,734 Posts
...I think the Yamaha 2 stroke 90 would be the best motor for this boat. ...
A former forum member did that, and the 100# lighter engine didn't make that much of a difference. Especially when they had to keep the live well full for redfish tournaments.

It also didn't balance when two anglers got on the bow.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
flotation foam does zero to float a boat higher unless the hull is full of water. all it does is displace water that would otherwise get into empty compartments when a boat is swamped.
It’s astonishing how many people think filling a boat with foam will make it draft less. My buddy was telling me something similar about filling the seats in his river boat with foam to make it float higher. I asked “so if I stack a ton of foam in this hull it will levitate?”
Pretty common misconception, not being an ass.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yamaha 115 or sho - 377lbs
Pro XS 115 - 359lbs
Suzuki 140hp - 394lbs

Suzuki 140 is probably biggest I’d go. It’s only 20lbs heavier then yammy 115. And it’s actually lighter than Suzuki 115
Looks like the new Etec G2 115, 140, and 150 will be lighter that most. All based on a 1.9 liter 3 cylinder. the 115 and 140 are just tuning, and the 150 has some variable exhaust timing, (maybe kind of like the yamaha 60 vs 70hp)

i cant find the weights on them yet. the closes thing to compare is the 75 3 cylinder is a 1.3 liter at 320#. so im thinking this will be in the 350/360. But you also have to remember that his motor comes with built in steering, which adds weight to the motor itself, where ass others the weight is there, but not included in the motor weight, it will be interesting to see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engine: inline direct-injected two-stroke 3-cylinder, 1.9 liters / Power output: 115 H.O., 140 or 150 HP / Lower Unit: 20" or 25" / Best fuel economy: (Key West 203) 12.5 mpg at 1,000 rpm / Steering: mechanical cable, external hydraulic, digital power steering or tiller / Oil tank: 1.9 gallons, good for 50-60 hours / Maintenance interval: Five years or 500 hours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a27911612/e-tec-150/

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looks like the new Etec G2 115, 140, and 150 will be lighter that most. All based on a 1.9 liter 3 cylinder. the 115 and 140 are just tuning, and the 150 has some variable exhaust timing, (maybe kind of like the yamaha 60 vs 70hp)

i cant find the weights on them yet. the closes thing to compare is the 75 3 cylinder is a 1.3 liter at 320#. so im thinking this will be in the 350/360. But you also have to remember that his motor comes with built in steering, which adds weight to the motor itself, where ass others the weight is there, but not included in the motor weight, it will be interesting to see.

Engine: inline direct-injected two-stroke 3-cylinder, 1.9 liters / Power output: 115 H.O., 140 or 150 HP / Lower Unit: 20" or 25" / Best fuel economy: (Key West 203) 12.5 mpg at 1,000 rpm / Steering: mechanical cable, external hydraulic, digital power steering or tiller / Oil tank: 1.9 gallons, good for 50-60 hours / Maintenance interval: Five years or 500 hours.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a27911612/e-tec-150/
Only issue with that is youd have to hang an etec on the back of your boat

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,987 Posts
It’s astonishing how many people think filling a boat with foam will make it draft less. My buddy was telling me something similar about filling the seats in his river boat with foam to make it float higher. I asked “so if I stack a ton of foam in this hull it will levitate?”
Pretty common misconception, not being an ass.
Levitation skiff, I want it. Need to add some to my aluminum flat.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.