Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy that needs a replacement tank for his Marquesa - anyone know where Hells Bay is getting their replacement tanks? Will they fit through the hatch?

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I don’t know but Boyd’s Custom Welding does mainly custom fuel tanks and did some work for me and I was very impressed. Call them if nothing else pans out.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
Hoping to find a vendor already building these to speed the process but if not I will try Boyd's.
Florida Marine Tanks. Unless the skiff is custom, FMT will have the specs for all the year models of HB including the all important mounting tabs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Please share what you find out. The tank in my 05 Marquesa looks good but it’s an 05 and there is some minor corrosion on the tabs that attach to the hull. But I agree with DuckNut, I’d start with Hells Bay.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hellsbay did mine on my whip, easy and way cheaper than anyone else. If it doesnt fit out the hatch they cut the tank in half and get it out.. and yea they do a fair amount of them i guess, old method of installing tanks back in early 2000s lets moisture/salt get under the tank and eventually creates a small pin hole leak.. This isnt excluvie to HB either, Contender, Seavee, Yellowfin a bunch of other high end builders have it happen as well.. Got to remember its 2019 so many early HB tanks are pushing 20 years old.

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
eVanHaMmeR's buddy called HB. Easy fix. "We do this all the time" :eek: In the meantime He put in a 12 gallon red tank to get by until he can make the 16 hour round trip journey. Logistics is half the battle, Money is the other half :$
That is a huge piece of the story that was missing. At $10 an hour that is half the cost of the tank. If this is one way just the driving time is just about the cost of the repair. Had I known this I would have said to find a local shop.

"We do this all the time":eek: - I agree :eek::eek::eek:

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
His other "buddy" told him the tank is fine since it's powdercoated so he'll just run it as-is!
So what would prompt you to ask this question from your friend- I mean if he smells gas he should know he can't run as is? Or is he being proactive knowing there will eventually be a hole in it?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what would prompt you to ask this question from your friend- I mean if he smells gas he should know he can't run as is? Or is he being proactive knowing there will eventually be a hole in it?
He's got a legit leak and he knows it - the comment to Tidewater about it being okay was me ribbing TW... it just carried over from the group text. Sorry for any confusion it caused.

He called HB to see about getting it fixed, I was just curious if anyone knew where to source the tank so he had the option of getting it fixed locally. As he noted he's 8 hours from Titusville; so dropping the boat off is 16 hours round-trip and picking it up two weeks later is another 16 hours round-trip.

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
He's got a legit leak and he knows it - the comment to Tidewater about it being okay was me ribbing TW... it just carried over from the group text. Sorry for any confusion it caused.

He called HB to see about getting it fixed, I was just curious if anyone knew where to source the tank so he had the option of getting it fixed locally. As he noted he's 8 hours from Titusville; so dropping the boat off is 16 hours round-trip and picking it up two weeks later is another 16 hours round-trip.
No issues and thanks for the clarification.

32 hours of driving I would be looking for someone local.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
I had to replace my tank on my boat. They put a copper supply tube on the aluminum tank. When saltwater got in holes resulted. We took the tank out the floor of my front hatch. Now i have an aluminum supply tube on an aluminum tank. I am surprised HB has that problem. Seems if they do should be warranty work

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
Aluminum will last a long, long time. But not as long if you paint them, foam in place, or have inadequate exposure to air.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
No issues and thanks for the clarification.

32 hours of driving I would be looking for someone local.
Boyd’s Welding fabbed sponsons for a boat I had a few years ago and shipped to Texas for $50. 32 hours of driving, I’d be looking at installing the tank my self or having a local shop do it all. It’s not rocket science but if the tank was installed before the cap and it won’t come out of the hatch it’s a little more involved for sure.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Aluminum will last a long, long time. But not as long if you paint them, foam in place, or have inadequate exposure to air.
Aluminum fuel tanks should be solvent cleaned, scuff sanded, cleaned again, chemically etch primes and coated in either interprotect 2000e or a coal tar epoxy. DO NOT skip the chemical etch prime step ! NOTHING will properly adhere to aluminum, without an etch prime.

Bare aluminum will corrode...

Foaming a fuel tank isn’t a good idea - traps moisture around tank, greatly reducing the life span

Tanks should be sitting on starboard strips, this will avoid “crevice corrosion”

DO NOT use rubber / neoprene strips - these will hold moisture against the aluminum...

Be cautious when purchasing a tank - lots of mfgs use a cheap grey paint and sell it as an epoxy coating

Powder coating isn’t a good protector

Reactions: sidelock
1 - 20 of 25 Posts