Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are doing a family trip to Costa Rica, Manzanilla area in mid February. Of course I will bring a couple setups. I know there is a lodge there for tarpon. I was wondering if anyone has fished that area and knows of any diy flats that I can wade? Thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
98 Posts
We are doing a family trip to Costa Rica, Manzanilla area in mid February. Of course I will bring a couple setups. I know there is a lodge there for tarpon. I was wondering if anyone has fished that area and knows of any diy flats that I can wade? Thanks
Manzanilla on the Pacific side or the other coast ? If it's on the Pacific side, no Tarpon in that area. Either coast I would be hyper sensitive to the Croc's when wading or fishing in the surf.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
98 Posts
It’s on the Caribbean coast. Down on south side almost to panama
You may find plenty of Tarpon on the caribbean side. I would still hire a guide and if the waters aren't crystal clear I would stay out of them. I am talking Jurassic Park type Croc's in size. On an outgoing tide my dad and I went wading for Snook and Rooster fish at the mouth of a river after we were told it was safe to be in the water. We caught crazy numbers of fish but what a mistake. Still have night mares on what could have happened.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
98 Posts
Ranno what river?
It was outside of Golfito on a peninsula known as Zancudo. We began fishing at the original Zancudo Lodge back in 1990 when a guy by the name of Roy still owned it. It's changed a lot over the past 30 years but the Crocs still remain. There not only on the back side of the lodge but on a low tide will be out on the sandbar out front. We have trolled out front for Roosters and seen some monsters sunning them selves on the beach.

·
Registered
98’ Whipray
370 Posts
It was outside of Golfito on a peninsula known as Zancudo. We began fishing at the original Zancudo Lodge back in 1990 when a guy by the name of Roy still owned it. It's changed a lot over the past 30 years but the Crocs still remain. There not only on the back side of the lodge but on a low tide will be out on the sandbar out front. We have trolled out front for Roosters and seen some monsters sunning them selves on the beach.
Rio Coto

·
Registered
146 Posts
I fished there a lot in the mid 90s. Caught my first tarpon on a St. Croix/Pflueger setup.

I hired Willy at the end of the road and we’d go push his panga over the bar at Gondoca Lagoon. There were a lot of baby tarpon and snook in there at that time. I’m sure it’s all changed now.

There are big fish at the Sixaola River mouth and at certain times of the year the sardines push up by the beach and you’ll see them there.

You can DIY and walk the beach and probably stick a jack or dogtooth snapper. But, I’d ask around for an independent guide and make a deal.

I fished with Willy, his stepson, Carlos, and George. Willy is probably gone by now. Bribri Indian about 5’ tall with feet almost as wide as long, blind in one eye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts