Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
1,261 Posts
Seems they're habing a bad year for lack of forage. Perhaps overpopulation?

Government intervention, always has complications. Lake Apopka in central Florida was a great example of that. My opinion, of course.

·
waterman 16
672 Posts

Overpopulation... based on the amount of forage. These deaths are but one blatant example of our total lack of seagrasses in the Lagoon. This is a blessing in disguise, as the general public is finally seeing our plight. Even the local news stations are covering the precious manatee deaths. I really hope it sticks this time. Mark

·
2012 Mitzi Skiffs 15' Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke
Buggy Whip Aficionado
25 Posts

Not only population issue but compounded with lack of grass and lack of natural migration. The warm water released from power plants, runoff, etc has given the 'tees a warm place to stay year round instead of them migrating like they should. It's a catch 22 with the grass situation in the lagoon. Surely the manatees alone aren't causing the grass loss but given the ratio of manatees to remaining grass, the year-round presence sure isn't helping... As much as I hate to say it, the manatee deaths might be a good thing for the lagoon cause it puts a "poor dead manatees" headline in the news. Not enough people care about dead grass but when cute sea cows die, then there might be some traction.

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
1,261 Posts
Not only population issue but compounded with lack of grass and lack of natural migration. The warm water released from power plants, runoff, etc has given the 'tees a warm place to stay year round instead of them migrating like they should. It's a catch 22 with the grass situation in the lagoon. Surely the manatees alone aren't causing the grass loss but given the ratio of manatees to remaining grass, the year-round presence sure isn't helping... As much as I hate to say it, the manatee deaths might be a good thing for the lagoon cause it puts a "poor dead manatees" headline in the news. Not enough people care about dead grass but when cute sea cows die, then there might be some traction.
That is just it. Save the tees, has killed the grass/killed the lagoon

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
1,038 Posts
Overpopulation... based on the amount of forage. These deaths are but one blatant example of our total lack of seagrasses in the Lagoon. This is a blessing in disguise, as the general public is finally seeing our plight. Even the local news stations are covering the precious manatee deaths. I really hope it sticks this time. Mark
Agree

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Don't you ever think that there will always be to many for the amount of forage needed? With other species like mice they populations fluctuate alot on a 4 year cycle because they eat all of the forage and start over again. I pole over miles of grass everyday with no manatees out there eating it.

·
waterman 16
672 Posts
Not sure where you are fishing, but consider yourself lucky. IMO, manatees are not to blame directly for the loss of grass. Their deaths only show what we all knew....we have killed off all of our seagrasses. Certainly true in the IRL and Mosquito Lagoon. Save Our Everglades had a factoid in their mailing today...the FWC is going to start feeding the manatees...what a joke.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Around $50k in romaine alone to date, that number will go up exponentially in the near future once everyone gets their hand in the cookie jar! This agency, that agency, blah, blah, blah! Fix the water, this is what will save the manatee!

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
All a dog and pony show! The 3 manatee at Homosassa don’t need this grass as they are in human care and fed very well! Just a publicity stunt and politics! Fix the water, save the manatee!

Reactions: TR.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Reality sucks at times. For the record I have never ran over a manatee even before there was so many regulations. However, I never had a boat that would exceed 38 MPH. And then only running away from a lightning storm. At 22-28 MPH I always saw them getting out of the way. Our seagrasses is where many species live, grow and reproduce.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts