Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
I saw a mother doing this when she was giving birth in Kings Bay Crystal Ricer. I ran tours there for several years.
GREAT SHOT
I was fortunate enough to see a mother who already had a yearling calf still with her give birth to a brand new baby behind my house in the canal that I live on in Edgewater, FL two weeks ago. I saw the baby take its first breath of air. Pretty awesome. Here's a photo of the baby with mom a few minutes after birth.
Water Wildlife Marine mammal

· Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure if there population has increased or what but am seeing them on about 80% of the time out of St. Marks. Last trip I saw 5 groups with several on them being WAY back in the marsh. Since I generally head east first thing in the morning it gets difficult seeing them while looking into the rising sun. I've gotten pretty paranoid about hitting one!

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if there population has increased or what but am seeing them on about 80% of the time out of St. Marks. Last trip I saw 5 groups with several on them being WAY back in the marsh. Since I generally head east first thing in the morning it gets difficult seeing them while looking into the rising sun. I've gotten pretty paranoid about hitting one!
I read an article in Florida Sportsman last year that said there are many more manatees in Florida than there have been for a long time. I know for myself that I see them pretty much every time I am fishing in the Tomoka.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.