Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the boat as it was brought home by my two boys, as in here is another project for you pops. Been wanting to build a microskiff for some time so I was up for it. what I wasn't up for was a completion time of about 7 months and many hours.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,184 Posts
Hmmm. It looks like you have another boat in the background. That isn't good. Not having a boat is a good motivator to get you into the garage when you'd really rather be fishing. If I had another boat, my current 3 year project would take another 8.
:-[
Seriously, it looks like a cool hull. Have fun, take lots of pics and post often. We like to watch...

...it is kinda creepy at first, but you'll get used to it.

Nate

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the initial demo included removing the forward deck, port side baitwell and forward thwart.  most all gel coat was removed from interior and ready to start adding. first was high density coring stringers. all decks and bulkhead foam coring, no wood used in build.
grid template was made to cut deck.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gheenoe in the background was sold to help fund a motor for the new skiff.
deck installed and upper decks going on.
final cut to the cap was done at the Gausebuilt shop with a bit of professional help.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back to the house and a couple of coats of resin with sanding compound additive to the decks.  Gel cote applied.

Taped a non skid pattern.

·
Boozle on...
859 Posts
Looks as though the Malibu, is pretty much the same as my Johnsen. Those hulls have allot of potential, and can be found dirt cheap. What year is the hull? Looks great, nice work.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

to Quality T Tops in Tarpon Springs for custom poling platform build.

taping out non skid pattern on platform deck

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Push pole mounts installed and Stiffy

most recent additions include recessed nav lights, red LED cockpit lighting, bait pump and plumbing and stereo system.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had my eye on this boat for many years as it sat on the side of a home in my neighborhood. Its a 76 hull that was last registered in 1983. I was working on the baitwell lit tonight and should have it installed tomorrow. I skipped many steps in this quick recap of the build. I will be glad to help with anything in particular you my have questions about.

·
Won "Do More With Less" Award!
1,715 Posts
Very nice work! I do have a similar hull that I'm currently working on it but yours is very nice! [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

I wish I have the skills!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,100 Posts
BEAUTIFUL job!! Kudos to you,I admire your skills. Keep Slimin' it! [smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif] [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

·
I Love microskiff.com!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One quick tip that I may offer is this. If you use foam high density board, buy a couple sheets of melamine at home depot and lay up your panels prior to installation. Use release wax like you would use in a mold. use a lot of resin and wet board, panel and cloth. evenly weight down the panel. when dry your panel will pop off the melamine and be ready for installation. this eliminates lots of sanding and finish work to get a smooth surface.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts