Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had this problem. I've put about 5 hours on my motor since the last oil change and I now have more oil on the stick than I started with.
I've been told the gas is mixing with the oil. I asked my mechanic and he knew nothing about it.
Sorry , I have a 90 hp 4 stroke mercury outboard.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure what kind of dipstick you have but make sure you take it out, wipe it, and then check. Some engines will form a vacuum on the dip stick causing the oils to read a higher level

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How old is the motor? Does the oil smell like gas? Did you do alot of idling?
The motor is a 2002, runs great other than the problem with not idling. So no I don't idle a lot, but I will be wanting to in the spring as the wife likes to jug a lot.
It does have a faint smell of gas. When I bought the boat the guy told me about this and I figured it would be an easy fix but it seems like it's not a common problem.
I researched it and some say it's the diaphragm on the fuel pump,(like it was on my lawn mower when I used ethanol gas).
Would really like to get these 2 problems solved with out spending a thousand dollars. My mechanic hadn't never heard of making oil.

B

·
0 Posts
The motor is a 2002, runs great other than the problem with not idling. So no I don't idle a lot, but I will be wanting to in the spring as the wife likes to jug a lot.
It does have a faint smell of gas. When I bought the boat the guy told me about this and I figured it would be an easy fix but it seems like it's not a common problem.
I researched it and some say it's the diaphragm on the fuel pump,(like it was on my lawn mower when I used ethanol gas).
Would really like to get these 2 problems solved with out spending a thousand dollars. My mechanic hadn't never heard of making oil.
Find a new mechanic! This is a very common problem with the 4strokes be it a bad lift pump diaphram or improperly seated rings! Either way, if he is a marine tech. then he would know about “making oil”!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Find a new mechanic! This is a very common problem with the 4strokes be it a bad lift pump diaphram or improperly seated rings! Either way, if he is a marine tech. then he would know about “making oil”!
No doubt! What mechanic has never heard of "making oil"? He should get a new one. ( Mechanic not engine)

B

·
0 Posts
Yes! Not gauranteed to be the problem though. With age it is a good idea to replace it but when a motor is making oil I will always do a cylinder leakdown test before proceeding or buying parts!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
make sure you're propped right to get max rpm's and run it like ya mean it. low rpm's on 4 strokes seem to cause fuel to get past the rings into the oil. or get a 2 stroke. see my avatar :)

B

·
0 Posts
What fuel lift pump does it have? If it’s a cam driven diaphram pump thenit could be leaking into the crank case. Otherwise probably improper break in resulting in washed rings that never seated! Do a shock treat with yamaha ring free and run the hell out of it then change oil and spark plugs! By run the hell out of it, I meen allow to warm up and then WFO for as long as you can. Is it reaching maximum rpms?
Good deal!;);)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts