Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of the year when big jacks roam the beaches. I have been watching my brother throw big Halco tuna poppers at them with good success. Love watching those monster crash a topwater so I made some NYAPs to try and mimic the noise of those big poppers he is throwing. Below is the 2/0 version that threw very well on my 8wt surprisingly. I thought for sure all that foam was going to be a b**ch to cast. Thinking the same thing but a little longer and a little taller on a 5/0 should make enough noise so everything in the ocean notices it. Stocked a few redfish flies as well and some huge surf candies for an order. Hard to tell but those are 3/0 SL12s.
IMG_3778.JPG
IMG_3777.JPG
IMG_E3773.JPG
IMG_E3775.JPG
IMG_3776.JPG

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
More than forty years ago Al Pflueger showed club members the setups he was using for really big poppers (I was a member of the Tropical Anglers Club back then - the oldest Miami based club - and still around today...). What Al was doing is taking a big popper head similar to what you're showing - only round... sliding it onto his bite tippet -then tying on a really big fly (five to seven or eight inches long...) at the bitter end. In use, you slid down the popper head tight onto the fly and fished it as a single, great big popper - using at least a 12wt rod (bigger if you have one... ) for blue water fish.

Great big jacks should just tear one up if you can find them blowing up mullet along a seawall at dawn or dusk somewhere....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it out for a test run yesterday. Had some very small jacks and tarpon attack it.Fun to watch but they couldn't get the hook. I haven't had a chance to throw it down a seawall or go search for jacks on the beach yet but it seems perfect to those applications.

The popper you describe from Al Pfueger sounds like the billfish flies you see now. I have a book showing alot of old school flies. Its pretty amazing to see what was tied up back in the 70s. Most are still used today with great success or have slight variations.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
You’re exactly right Pflueger’s setup was inspired by the sailfish fly rigs that were current then...

Al is still around although no longer fishing, the last I heard. His Dad owned and operated Pflueger Taxidermy years ago. It was the outfit everyone used way back when I got my first job on a charterman years ago.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
More than forty years ago Al Pflueger showed club members the setups he was using for really big poppers (I was a member of the Tropical Anglers Club back then - the oldest Miami based club - and still around today...). What Al was doing is taking a big popper head similar to what you're showing - only round... sliding it onto his bite tippet -then tying on a really big fly (five to seven or eight inches long...) at the bitter end. In use, you slid down the popper head tight onto the fly and fished it as a single, great big popper - using at least a 12wt rod (bigger if you have one... ) for blue water fish.

Great big jacks should just tear one up if you can find them blowing up mullet along a seawall at dawn or dusk somewhere....
Banger heads, I have a box full of different sizes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm ok with big fish. They do make a ton of noise which is what I was hoping for. I can see why the GT guys love them. Going to bring a few with me during mini season. If we limit out in short order we usually go try to chum up some snappers. I would assume any kingfish hanging around would destroy it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I tied this one up this past winter....a result of cabin fever. It’s a bit difficult to get it to turnover properly. :)
29EA456C-FFCA-477E-95DF-6CB5D3BEA2DE.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts