Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably has been discussed quite a few times but I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.

I have a Suzuki DF20a on my LT25. Currently most of the weight is in the back of the boat, including me, Vance jackplate, gas tank, and a freshly installed rear deck and hatch.

The boat was bought as just a hull, I've slowly been adding to it, electric is next so the battery forward will help, and I will usually have someone else with me. Eventually I will get a tiller extension and a grab bar and that will help as well.

My question is, with the boat weighted the way it is now, how high up can that cav plate be off the bottom of the hull? I know it is supposed to be even with it but I just wanted to hear another opinion. Any help is appreciated.

B

·
0 Posts
Raise it a little and run it, keep doing this until it cavitates then lower to last setting pre cavitation.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Again, @Boatbrains is on it! On my LT25 I ran a JP with trim tabs, it ran deadly skinny waters. Like boatbrains mentioned, keep raising until you hear it captivates.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you mean to say there is no perfect height that magically corrects all my problems and I have to put actual time into this thing to make it work well? Should've known. I did just drop it down a little further and change out the 11 pitch prop for the original 10 that had been kept as a spare previously...let's see what happens, thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
991 Posts
@RAWillimann there so mannnnny variables with your regarding your question. prop type, cupped, prop material, pitch, the weight of gear, coolers, etc. weight change do to the number of riders, so that's a reason to have a JP so that you can make the adjustments as required.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@RAWillimann there so mannnnny variables with your regarding your question. prop type, cupped, prop material, pitch, the weight of gear, coolers, etc. weight change do to the number of riders, so that's a reason to have a JP so that you can make the adjustments as required.
Yes, and the boat will be changing a lot in the coming months as well. I'll just have to keep tinkering and driving my wife crazy with random trips to the ramp

·
Registered
991 Posts
LOL, welcome to boat ownership.....Its, not just a hobby its a lifestyle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts