Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wifey surprised me with a deposit on an Gheenoe LT 10 for Christmas and a riptide transom mount motor! I'm excited but candidly, I want to keep it as bare bones, fast, rugged, and cheap as possible without cutting corners and hopefully without wiring or an extension box. So, I've got some questions for you pros as this is my first skiff! For reference, I almost always fish with a buddy or my small children, usually in skinny water in Texas or small rivers. Also, I tend to bump into everything in the water

Trolling motor: Does it mount directly to the transom with no additional supplies or mounting systems needed? I figured the battery can sit in the hatch? Would you want a cheap tiller extension for this. I've heard the bow mount is not great on these boats and requires wiring and electrical box.

No Center Box/Grab bar: I was thinking no center box, just a grab bar and a spot for a cooler. Thoughts? Does Custom gheenoe make grab bars? Does the cooler need a holder or does it just sit in the bottom of the boat.

Motor: 9.9 Tohatsu seems to hit the mark on the cheapest and fairly rugged. Any recommended upgrades to get it running faster and shallower? (Stingray Jr, etc) I heard a jack plate is not useful on the LT 10. Thoughts?

Clip on nav lights: I am out past dark quite a bit but don't want to pay all the extras for electrical and worry about it corrosion. Do clip-on lights do the trick on a gheenoe?

Hand Bilge Pump: I've got a hand bilge pump for my canoe, is this sufficient for the amount of water that gets in the boat? I figured the electrical ones would require wiring and electrical box

Trailer: galvanized, no guide-ons, no spare tire or holder.

Color: Olive with tan interior. Figured this would help it double as a duck boat if I wanted but I'm still unsure of how much oyster rash will show up?

Durability: Any recommendations to increase the durability of the boat?

Platforms: I've never seen the casting platform custom gheenoe makes but a removable Stool style platform sounds appealing for the back of the boat. Thoughts?

Am I missing anything, any other recommendations?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve heard that you can upgrade to a 15 or 20hp tohatsu without any sacrifice to weight and just spend a few hundred dollars. Is there a problem with overmotoring the LT10? What are the pros and cons? It would seem too that I could then keep the motor as I upgraded and just sell the boat, maybe preventing me from spending more money in the future?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
Custom Gheenoe forums has all the info needed or the Gheenoe FB club. Just remember that less is more sometimes. Some of those little boats are rigged like a Swiss army knife LOL

·
Registered
394 Posts
The LT 10 is a nice shallow water boat!
- Trolling motor: Custom Gheenoe sells a bow mounted trolling motor mount for around $150. I have had mine for over 10 years and it has survived many a collision with the bottom. I would recommend getting this TM mount over trying to build your own. You can mount your battery in the front of the boat and connect the wires that you have from the TM to the battery without having to run extra wires or have a switch box. I do highly recommend having a breaker for your TM to prevent overloads. I have a breaker that fits on top of the battery and sits in a standard battery box.
- No center box: Excellent idea, opens up a lot of space and makes it easier moving from the back to the front. Custom Gheenoe and others make good grab bars.
- 9.9 Motor: This will get the job done as far as a 15HP ask others on the FB page that have done it what they think. Start without a jack plate, you can always add one later.
- Clip on nav lights: This will work to start. Walmart has a LED set for under $28.
- Bilge pump: Hand operated will work. In a short amount of time I think you will want to add an electric one and it is an easy add on so save your money now.
- Olive hull color: I had olive as a hull color. It does show oyster rash but is good if you want to duck hunt. Tan is a good interior color and is pretty cool to your feet in hot summer sun but off white is the coolest.
- Durability: Boats are pretty durable as is. Some have added bed liner to the bottom to help with oyster rash but my 10 year hull has held up fine without it.
- nPlatforms: Less is more at first and will save you money. If you want an inexpensive platform to start with use an existing cooler or get an aluminum step platform from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for around $30.

Hope you enjoy your new boat and let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The LT 10 is a nice shallow water boat!
- Trolling motor: Custom Gheenoe sells a bow mounted trolling motor mount for around $150. I have had mine for over 10 years and it has survived many a collision with the bottom. I would recommend getting this TM mount over trying to build your own. You can mount your battery in the front of the boat and connect the wires that you have from the TM to the battery without having to run extra wires or have a switch box. I do highly recommend having a breaker for your TM to prevent overloads. I have a breaker that fits on top of the battery and sits in a standard battery box.
- No center box: Excellent idea, opens up a lot of space and makes it easier moving from the back to the front. Custom Gheenoe and others make good grab bars.
- 9.9 Motor: This will get the job done as far as a 15HP ask others on the FB page that have done it what they think. Start without a jack plate, you can always add one later.
- Clip on nav lights: This will work to start. Walmart has a LED set for under $28.
- Bilge pump: Hand operated will work. In a short amount of time I think you will want to add an electric one and it is an easy add on so save your money now.
- Olive hull color: I had olive as a hull color. It does show oyster rash but is good if you want to duck hunt. Tan is a good interior color and is pretty cool to your feet in hot summer sun but off white is the coolest.
- Durability: Boats are pretty durable as is. Some have added bed liner to the bottom to help with oyster rash but my 10 year hull has held up fine without it.
- nPlatforms: Less is more at first and will save you money. If you want an inexpensive platform to start with use an existing cooler or get an aluminum step platform from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for around $30.

Hope you enjoy your new boat and let me know if you have any other questions.

Many thanks!! Taking notes as you all respond and just joined the Gheenoeholics page. A few more questions I have for ya:

-Does the TM Battery and fuel in the back affects the draft with their being decks in the front? Do you need to get a fuel forward gas tank to counter weight?

-When adding things like a bilge pump later, won't that require switch boxes and new wiring to be laid or will they just plug into the trolling motor battery?

·
Registered
394 Posts
To balance the weight on the boat I would put the trolling motor battery up front and the gas tank in the back. You want some weight up front to keep the nose of the boat down while you are running the boat by yourself. By thinking out your weight distribution you can many times avoid having to add tabs and trim. If you are having the boat made check with Custom Gheenoe I believe they can put the battery up front under a hatch at no additional cost. When it comes time to add your bilge pump you would mount it in the back of the boat by the transom and run wires through your rub rail to the battery in the front (easy to do). When ever you put something electrical on your boat you will want to put a fuse on it for safety, this is easy to do and when you are ready to do this just ask and we can give you more detail.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, get a spare tire, i buy mine at WalMart for around $50. You can get a spare tire carrier at Academy Sports for $10. All it is is a big "U" clamp that attaches to the winch stand (based on your preferences you can mount it in other locations too). The spare tire carrier that Custom Gheenoe sells is very nice and it costs $50 last time I checked. A spare tire is a must if you use your boat a lot or a little.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Haven't been on an LT10 yet but I've spent a lot of time on a 15—4.

I'd find a 2 stroke 15 if you can. It'll save weight over the 4 strokes and the extra torque on the low end is nice for getting these narrow transom boats on plane.

A stool style poling platform in the stern is nice. Makes it easier to pole without bumping the motor.

I'd get a fixed jackplate ($100). It'll help avoid some of the rocks in the river and running skinny if you take it to the salt.

If you end up needing to battery power anything, you can do minimal wiring and use 7ah deer feeder batteries. They're light and small.

I'd personally prefer to have a bilge pump. If you and the boat go for a swim, it's much easier to let the pump bail than try and bail and tread water at the same time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
depends on what sticker you put on that motor. Go 15 and put 9.9 stickers on it. Same weight. The fwc officers I have encountered in FL don't care what you have on it. Just make sure you have all of your mandatory CC items with you. Don't forget that GD Throwable cushion or you will get a ticket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question that came to mind: if you pay taxes when you purchase the boat from florida and then pay again when you try and register it in Texas?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I am going to take this over to the CG forum ;-)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Curious if it’s “illegal” to over motor a boat???
I run a whopping 8 hp on my 5 hp rated 13 ft gheenoe. I've been stopped by state and federal game wardens and no comment. My buddy runs a 15 hp on his 15—4, not sure if he's been stopped yet or not.

I bought a boat that was titled in Florida. Didn't pay taxes there and payed them in TX. Shouldn't have to pay double tax, but not sure if it being new makes a difference..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts