Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys need some more knowledge here... what's the consensus on this budget friendly 12"? I like the fact it has the SD slot for upgraded maps but how does it perform out of the box? Going to be used mostly around Titusville, maybe a couple trips to the gulf side... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Don't get it or the Cruise which is just a Hook in disguise. Its cheap for a reason. HOOK is the least capable unit in the market. Both run no charts with any imagery and have very limited software capabilities.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't get it or the Cruise which is just a Hook in disguise. Its cheap for a reason. HOOK is the least capable unit in the market. Both run no charts with any imagery and have very limited software capabilities.
That's what I needed to know. Thanks Egret!

·
Registered
236 Posts
to paraphrase Egrets Landing from another thread...

"You are best advised to not shop units first. Shop the maps first. Once you get that right, then choose the unit that will run it. Crappy map = crappy utility = unhappy camper"

·
I Love microskiff.com!
102 Posts
Yes.. the machine is fine. But the charts it can run are the worst in the market leaving you with a decent machine that is rendered useless inshore with no ability to run an alternative chart. Get and Elite Ti2 or EVO3 instead.
Have friends with the Elite Ti and they have a lot of issues with the touch screen. Do you know if the Ti2 has been upgraded to avoid some of those kinds of issues?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ohhhh NOW you tell me. I got Hook 2/5 maps suck
Best to do some focused research before buying. At first look it is not totally obvious those machines do not support any charts with photos but with a couple of questions to any rep or with an examination of the specifications of the capabilities or lack thereof of Hook2 or the Simrad Cruise for that matter it would have been made clear. Those units are inexpensive for good reason. Hint: if you find higher end charts cost more than the unit you are looking at, don't get that unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts