Lowrance HDS7 Gen 3 + StructureScan HD

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by elsillo, May 16, 2018.

1. elsillo

elsillo Active Member

Hello Everyone,

A friend just gave me this Brand New Lowrance, I am not really planning on using the Transducer as I fish on the flats 90% of the time. I am having a Heron 16 built and don't know if I should add it on. I have never had a chart plotter fish-finder before on my boats, wanted suggestions from fellow fisherman if I should add it pros and cons or sell it.

jmrodandgun likes this.
  2. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

If you're asking about the transducer, you should keep it. It's not worth much anyway. Get on amazon and get yourself a sea sucker for $50 then you can have a transducer anytime you want. No holes in the boat.

Keeping the plotter is a no brainer. Keep it.

elsillo likes this.

3. elsillo

elsillo Active Member

4. jmrodandgun

Sea. Sucker. Get it?

That's the same one I use for my transducer. Works perfect, even at speed.

elsillo likes this.
  5. Boneheaded

Boneheaded Well-Known Member

Ive got the same unit, works great, only goes haywire when it encounters a big change in depth from shallower water to a deep channel, or when ive gone out past the reefline <300 ft but maybe i dont have the good transducer? either way it throws up a heck of a rooster tail. All and all good unit just wish it had tides like the old garmin units. Most of the time the sounder is off anyhow.

elsillo likes this.
  6. jmrodandgun

The 3rd Gen HDS has tides.

elsillo and Boneheaded like this.
  7. Boneheaded

Boneheaded Well-Known Member

Better crack open the manual!

8. jmrodandgun

watch

Boneheaded likes this.
  9. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

10. jay.bush1434

jay.bush1434 I Love microskiff.com!

It is a $1000+ unit. Mount the chartplotter and pay a Lowrance expert to set it up for you and show you how to use it. My HDS7 is connected to my Suzuki motor through NMEA 2000 and I get all kinds of engine info including fuel burn, instant MPG, engine hours, rpm etc. Depending on the engine you can get more or less info. I have the little xdcr epoxied in the bilge for depth reading only. It reads up to 30mph and as shallow as 2'. The downscan and sidescan xdcr is mounted really close to the starboard sponson. Mine doesn't throw a rooster tail either. It only works at slow speed (5-6mph max) and really isn't an advantage unless in water 5' or more. I don't fish water much deeper than 6' but it is nice to get a good picture of the bottom while drifting along or running to another spot. I have found unmarked oyster reefs, holes, humps and channels that aren't on any chart. Normally I'm in 3' or less so I'm not using those features anyway but they are very cool when I do use them. Fishing alongside a jetty will really look cool on sidescan view. It takes a while to learn how to read it properly but it is super cool.

elsillo and Boneheaded like this.
  11. elsillo

elsillo Active Member

Thanks Jay, I have been in contact with a few people and decided to go the same route as you mention you have. I mean if I have it why not go the extra mile and get everything done as well. I have never had one installed but I can see myself using it as my gauges and when fishing close to the jetties here. Nice tips, I am really grateful of the help the smallest decisions right now with the boat being built are stressful haha.