Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So F. My Lowrance HDS 7 went totally black, makes no beeps when buttons are pushed. Has 11.85 volts. It "came with the boat." and is supposedly 3 yo old. It only last 3 fishing trips. Is this worth getting fixed or will I end up with something that will just break again? Before it went out, we looked at it and saw it was at the beginning screen. Pressed the button and its working. Hour later same thing. Another hour -- black screen.

Is there a fuse in it or is this something that might can be fixed? I saw it takes TROX screws and I have T10 but they must be T8s so I have not opened it up.

This really sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Did you try a "reset" ?
There's a soft and then hard resets.
Go to you tube and search for it.
Won't help if it's a power problem or something "broken" inside tho...

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
First things first... whenever a piece of electrickery quits on you (or plays dead...) it's probably a good idea to find out if it's the appliance or the power before you start reaching for your wallet... So, the voltage read at your machine (guessing that's where you got your voltage reading from) seems a bit low... My first step is to use a multi-meter on the end of your power cable to find out exactly how much juice is getting to your machine - then if it's low immediately go to the fuse for that circuit (must have the right size fuse, no kidding.. and it needs to be for that machine alone...) remove it and very carefully clean the terminal ends with a dry cloth (and a bit of fine sandpaper if you see the slightest corrosion..) then re-attach it and check your voltage again...If there's a noticeable improvement - then try to start up that machine again... No power (or very little power) to that circuit? That's when you back to your power source and very carefully inspect that circuit - and test each portion along the way if it even looks suspect...

Before you start messing with the machine.. simply make sure you not only have power -but that it's getting to where it needs to go (whether that's a switch, a light, a $1 000 machine...). l hope this helps since you're not likely to get much in the way of support from the factory if the machine is no longer in warranty (and good luck with the warranty stuff as well) - the industry, broadly, is spotty on warranty stuff for electronics, period.

"Aren't boats fun?"

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. My unit gets 11.85 on the pins at the unit. I have a good multimeter. So the power is right at the unit. It makes no beeps or nothing when buttons are pushed. I did the hard start -- press page and then power -- nothing.

I'm think SOL.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
505 Posts
Thanks all. My unit gets 11.85 on the pins at the unit. I have a good multimeter. So the power is right at the unit. It makes no beeps or nothing when buttons are pushed. I did the hard start -- press page and then power -- nothing.

I'm think SOL.
I'm no expert but 11.85V? That seems crazy low and may not power your unit. I know when I test my always broken power pole, if it's not getting well over 12V to pump, it ain't working. Good luck with unit..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Definitely try another power source. I have an Elite Ti, and thought it was bad because it blanked out on me after just a couple of hours use. I tried another battery and Game On. Lowrance appears to be picky about voltage.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Definitely try another power source. I have an Elite Ti, and thought it was bad because it blanked out on me after just a couple of hours use. I tried another battery and Game On. Lowrance appears to be picky about voltage.
I’ll second that! I had a mangrove try and reach out to take out my elite TI unsuccessfully... it did give it a good twist on its rotating mount. To the naked eye all looked well but I had a black screen. Tester showed just below 12v. I pulled the wiring and when touched to the battery it lit up fine. I ended up having to rewire my connection under my console. It pulled one wire just enough to give me an issue. Picky about voltage is an understatement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts