Lower units

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by firecat1981, Jan 2, 2011.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Well I think I'm gonna fix my Yamaha f20 that was hit by a suv. So I need a lower unit, maybe a drive shaft, and probably a new prop. Where is everyone gettin there parts these days?

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

If i remember right u have a f20 or f25 yamaha. Bulletproof motors, which on a downside means they dont get parted out often. I would definately look around but you might be buying a new one

3. firecat1981

I want a new one, to me theres no point in putting a well used part on a motor with 25 hours on it. Factory direct is like $1300. I've seen them as low as $980 so far.

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Tell ya what, since your a member i'll see what dealer cost is on it and add 100 bucks (to smooth the boss over). What year and model is it?

5. firecat1981

Let me hear what you got ;)

It's a 2008/2009 yamaha F20 4-stroke short shaft.

PM me your info, or else you may have a bunch of customers :D

6. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Before buying a lower unit, you may want to check the crankshaft in the power head. (if you haven't already) I bought two 40 HP big twin Evinrudes some years ago. They were late models and had been struck from behind just as you were. One engine was fine and all I had to do was replace the exhaust housing, driveshaft and lower unit. The second engine had a bent crank and was useful only for some parts.

Best regards and good luck,
    Frank_S

7. firecat1981

Outside of breaking down the motor, how would you suggest I check it? She still fires up right away, idles as normal, revs fine. Only thing is when I'm running it has a bit more vibration (think the prop has a small bend in it) and the cavitation plate is cracked. After the wreck we still fished for 2 days, and a few more days before I cut the boat up. I'm not sure if the motor will last 100 years, but even if I need to rebuild the power head it will cost less then a new motor.