Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best place on the Lower Laguna to launch and fish one of the smaller microskiffs? Pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Port Isabel - Pompano Park
https://goo.gl/maps/yj6yVPKv42zQkGCq8

Can hug the shoreline and still access plenty of good areas up north when you exit the fingers
Also, flat down near Long Island village is about a 10 minute ride on other side of the causeway

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pompano+Park/@26.0717197,-97.1953156,1004m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x866f986ad3fcc2c3:0xf466ccad52215a0f!2sPort+Isabel,+TX!3b1!8m2!3d26.0734119!4d-97.2085844!3m4!1s0x866fae49c21de509:0x13b04cfdf04c0a3f!8m2!3d26.0749058!4d-97.2153421

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pouring over google maps for both driving distance and fishing. Surprises me it's only a half hour longer to get to Port Isabel vs Port Mansfield. Guess the drive isn't a decision maker. Looking at the map, Mansfield, Arroyo, Pt Isabel etc., where would you base out of with a small skiff if all you cared about was sight casting? Sounds like Port Isabel might offer more protection for a small skiff? Making retirement plans here. Thinking about where to base out of and spend as many years fishing as I can while I can still stay vertical and spot fish in as shallow water as possible.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I personally like Port Isabel as there's good numbers of snook down in the shipping channel & creek mouths plus south bay offers really good shelter from most E / SE winds. The backside of northen SPI is something worth checking out as well, sand flats for days...youd think you were in the bahamas. Arroyo is also fantastic fishing but I think with a micro Pt Isabel could be a better choice. Also worth noting...all throughout the fingers in the evening there's dock light fishing for trout, snook, and occasional reds. We've had absolutely awesome 2-4 hours sessions cruising around sight casting under the dock lights and a micro is ideal for this. Just a side note in case you wanted to check that one evening.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,655 Posts
Port Mansfield and south. Don’t advertise the snook, ain’t no snook down there...lots of reds and nice trout though. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good plan. Took it back in school and have used bits off and on my whole life. If immersed, I think I'd be functionally fluent inside of a year.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,327 Posts
Pouring over google maps for both driving distance and fishing. Surprises me it's only a half hour longer to get to Port Isabel vs Port Mansfield. Guess the drive isn't a decision maker. Looking at the map, Mansfield, Arroyo, Pt Isabel etc., where would you base out of with a small skiff if all you cared about was sight casting? Sounds like Port Isabel might offer more protection for a small skiff? Making retirement plans here. Thinking about where to base out of and spend as many years fishing as I can while I can still stay vertical and spot fish in as shallow water as possible.
Sounds like we have identical retirement plans. The real estate market is reasonable, too.;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe we can take turns poling.

Been studying that real estate market on the net. Get on the water so it's just lowering the boat to fish or buy a few miles inland or trailer it to the ramp saving money and house maintenance?

What's the ramp to use?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,327 Posts
Not so good for trout and reds either. If I was yall I would retire in Mississippi or somewhere else.
That's all right, you can retire to Florida's Big Bend. We don't have any reds, trout, tarpon, tripletail and certainly no snook, either. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Port Mansfield is nice
No no no ! It’s horrible. Crossing the Y will beat you to death in a small skiff. When, not if, the wind gets up the chop becomes severe and you may submarine. Small skiffs are better served launching out of the Arroyo, where a 5 mile run to the inter coastal is protected, and the hop to skinny water is short. S Padre is a shit-show but you can launch and run the backside of Padre in protected water, dodging wind surfers for sport. Plus the fishing in Mansfield has gone to hell anyhow. Seymour

·
Registered
465 Posts
Port Mansfield is nice
No no no ! It’s horrible. Crossing the Y will beat you to death in a small skiff. When, not if, the wind gets up the chop becomes severe and you may submarine. Small skiffs are better served launching out of the Arroyo, where a 5 mile run to the inter coastal is protected, and the hop to skinny water is short. S Padre is a shit-show but you can launch and run the backside of Padre in protected water, dodging wind surfers for sport. Plus the fishing in Mansfield has gone to hell anyho
Shit show...too many people?
too many Undesirable people. Rude people. The Dregs. Massively overpriced bad food. Infrastructure problems, especially Sewer. Brigades of jet skis. Lard-asses on Harleys week, black dudes on rice rockets week, fag week. It goes on and on. It used to be paradise. Sad

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,655 Posts
No no no ! It’s horrible. Crossing the Y will beat you to death in a small skiff. When, not if, the wind gets up the chop becomes severe and you may submarine. Small skiffs are better served launching out of the Arroyo, where a 5 mile run to the inter coastal is protected, and the hop to skinny water is short. S Padre is a shit-show but you can launch and run the backside of Padre in protected water, dodging wind surfers for sport. Plus the fishing in Mansfield has gone to hell anyho

too many Undesirable people. Rude people. The Dregs. Massively overpriced bad food. Infrastructure problems, especially Sewer. Brigades of jet skis. Lard-asses on Harleys week, black dudes on rice rockets week, fag week. It goes on and on. It used to be paradise. Sad
Sounds like everywhere in Texas that used to be nice.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts