Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
585 Posts
So what does running at rpms high enough to plane do to the sea bottom? Is it so important to run on plane in extremely shallow waters and damaging the sea/flats bed in the process? This seems to be my hesitation granted it’s a great idea but will it be used in a flats friendly way? Think prop scars.

Bring on the bashing…

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The short answer is Texas is different than Florida. Will expound upon that later….

Setting up a boat to run this way actually is aimed to avoid interacting with the bottom. Look at the first IG clip posted on this thread… they don’t touch the bottom AT ALL… but run over prop scars previously left by a bad operator obviously who didn’t care or have a properly rigged boat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does the prop actually need to make contact with the bottom to cause damage?? Seems like a boat running in inches of water, or even a foot of water, if it has the prop just an inch or two from the bottom could potentially still cause damage. Do not necessarily know the answer, but maybe others can chime in.

At the end of the day, someone will ultimately tear up the flat and having devices to help prevent it is a good thing. But like most things people just figure out how to abuse the purpose and will likely run even shallower. Not a technology issue, but a people issue.

·
Registered
919 Posts
When bearing supported metal spins fast, heat is generated. How hot will a gear case be after thirty minutes out of the water at 6000 rpm? Water flowing over the gear case extends the life of the gear case seals and bearings, but probably inconsequential for most low hour operators using this cooling design.
That is a good point. High performance boats run at similar elevations but for a different reason. Higher = less drag (and more speed). Mercury's sportmaster will run like this with no ill effects (as will a speedmaster, but a non shifting gearcase is pretty much useless to fishermen). Prop 1/2 out of the water (or more) is the norm in most any boat capable of triple digits. But there mercury gearcases designed for that are about the only ones that handle it, granted with a lot more power than we're talking about here. Most that try to do it with other brand outboards end up spinning out the bearing carriers. The side-loading is a factor, too. Especially with higher pitch props, at some point it starts paddle-wheeling sideways.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you just look around anywhere on the Texas coast at boats (way too many to count) and see the 250-400hp outboards with next to no skeg and that is leaving out the skiffs, you will get the point.

Somebody’s always wanting to hate, it’s human nature and social media is always good for it.

Regarding Stevie’s set up, hope it works out like it was planned. Always nice when a plan comes together.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,010 Posts
If you haven't already, look at the vid @Stevie linked. That is a non tunnel running with the nose out of the water.

Anybody know what the dead rise on my 2007 Gordon Waterman 18 is? I'm thinking maybe 2 degrees?

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
When bearing supported metal spins fast, heat is generated. How hot will a gear case be after thirty minutes out of the water at 6000 rpm? Water flowing over the gear case extends the life of the gear case seals and bearings, but probably inconsequential for most low hour operators using this cooling design.
Take a look at pretty much all manual transmissions these days. All aluminum housing, bearing supported, no water cooler, and still work fine. Heat will build up yes, a more frequent oil change may be necessary for some who run jacked up all the time but most only jack the motor way up to cross a shallow mud flat or run through a creek to get to a spot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Take a look at pretty much all manual transmissions these days. All aluminum housing, bearing supported, no water cooler, and still work fine. Heat will build up yes, a more frequent oil change may be necessary for some who run jacked up all the time but most only jack the motor way up to cross a shallow mud flat or run through a creek to get to a spot.
Yes, running at the “razors edge” only happens when necessary. This may be higher percentage in wintertime but still not all the time.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,531 Posts
Thanks for the support Stevie!

While I was banned for slaying the face diaper vaxx woke mob on here so I didn’t catch any of the messages. 3500 miles driving in a week and I’m back home since Sunday afternoon. Stevie has some badass no see ums that chewed me up worse than last time I was over that way...I think I had a touch of West Malaria Key Nile 21 but herbal supplements and sunshine kicked it in 24 hours...

Sorry I didn’t get to stop and visit anyone, I had to detour a few hundred miles north to avoid Ida’s destruction on the way and the way back so I was turning and burning. I’m looking into having a set of tools in a central Florida shop so I can schedule installs and fly over for a week now and then.

sjrobin...did you know there’s water passages around the bearing housing in lower units that cools the lower unit from the inside as the water flows through the water cavity before the water pump? Running a lower unit out of the water is nothing new, I just developed a better mouse trap. Why would anyone run fully jacked at WOT for thirty minutes on a regular basis? I’ve done it a lot just testing my system and my 70TLRZ is still purring like a sewing machine. There are 17 of my systems on the water since January and no one has smoked a bearing yet even the guides running them several days a week. Instead of second guessing my pickup design and how it affects outboard performance why not figure out why your skeg is ground down to a nub and you’ve twisted off prop shafts and ruined so many Tohatsus...it might be from chopping all that sand that could be avoided with a good ol’ Texas boy’s invention. If you’re going to dish it out you better be able to take it because I’m back!

I installed a pickup on a Ranger Phantom 168 step on my way home...Gio’s Yamaha 90SHO is throwing a world class rooster tail fully jacked now and I doubled his water pressure with a water pump impeller modification that solves the weak SHO water pressure issue. This was the first step installation and my second SHO installation. I did a VF115LA on a 21’ Chittum Islamorada a couple of months ago.

If anyone wants one I’m taking pre orders for my next run of ten units so get on the list.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
This week I’ve spent 3 days in the Lower Keys on the 2 degree w/ raised transom & low water pickup. As this NON tunnel 2 degree is presently rigged, the level of the short shaft Tohatsu 60 hp & skeg are as my previous tunnel boat. There is enough thrust to jump on plane and run at the highest JP setting. The reason this configuration works is because of the low water pickup! Definitely a success ! No need for tunnels! Faster, smoother running. Very happy! Thanks, Mac!

Water Automotive tire Aircraft Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
Some get spiritual because they see they light, some ‘cause they feel the heat - RWH
941 Posts

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,531 Posts
This week I’ve spent 3 days on the 2 degree w/ raised transom & low water pickup in Lower Keys. As this NON tunnel 2 degree is presently rigged, the height of the short shaft Tohatsu 60 hp & skeg are as high as my previous tunnel boat. There is enough thrust to jump on plane and run at the highest JP setting. The reason this configuration works is because of the low water pickup! Definitely a success ! No need for tunnels! Faster, smoother running. Very happy! Thanks, Mac!

View attachment 183033
She is a beatiful rig and I’m excited to see the 12 degree side console running with nothing but skeg in the water.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This week I’ve spent 3 days on the 2 degree w/ raised transom & low water pickup in Lower Keys. As this NON tunnel 2 degree is presently rigged, the height of the short shaft Tohatsu 60 hp & skeg are as high as my previous tunnel boat. There is enough thrust to jump on plane and run at the highest JP setting. The reason this configuration works is because of the low water pickup! Definitely a success ! No need for tunnels! Faster, smoother running. Very happy! Thanks, Mac!

View attachment 183033
Man that looks bananas. I might have to make a trip down just to check it out.

And throw some feathers at permit.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts