Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To All,

Mac Jank (@Smackdaddy53) will drive to Florida in late August/ early September to install a low water pick up on a boat in South Florida. During his travels from TX through most of FL, Mac will be available to do 2 more mobile installs to locations en route. If you’re interested pls PM me and I will put you in touch with Mac directly. I believe the cost of a normal low water pickup is $1500. There will be an additional house call fee. Each install is specific to the boat and outboard.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Make sure he wears a mask
Remember, he does have one, with the front cut out of it!!!

Mac has endless knowledge and contributes some really good help and advice on here. I hope to see him back, and would love all the off topic crap to just go away and let's focus on boats and fishing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
227 Posts
Remember, he does have one, with the front cut out of it!!!

Mack has endless knowledge and contributes some really good help and advice on here. I hope to see him back, and would love all the off topic crap to just go away and let's focus on boats and fishing.
Agree 1000%! Is it possible to just ban him from the off topic section? haha Or just remove the darn section all together... even better. Back to the topic at hand I spoke with Mack about these pickups and the install and it sounds like an incredible product. I don't have the right boat to justify it otherwise I'd be seriously considering it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Like others have said. I want one and I probably don't even need one for what I will do when I finish the Conchfish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,094 Posts
My soon-to-be-finished Sabine Versatile will have a tunnel and the Tohatsu 60. I'm gonna have to look into that low-water pickup system.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like others have said. I want one and I probably don't even need one for what I will do when I finish the Conchfish.
In my case, we raised the transom 3” on a new shallow water boat, with NO tunnel. There’s enough thrust without the tunnel to raise OB on the JP to the same height as with a tunnel. The key element to run this configuration will be Mac’s low water pickup.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
This only makes sense for a tunnel hull, right?

If you haven't already, look at the vid @Stevie linked. That is a non tunnel running with the nose out of the water.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Not at all. For me, Mac will install the low water pickup on a non tunnel 2 degree. We raised the transom on the 2 degree to try to run the outboard with JP nearly as high as on a normal tunnel boat. But, the only way to do so is with the low water pickup. We find there’s plenty of thrust at higher JP settings, but you have to get water to the impeller via the low water pickup.

See the IG feed below of a low water pickup install on a 21 foot 12 degree boat in Texas. They’re running in 6” of water with the prop 1/2 out of the water. (Obviously you need an aggressively cupped prop as well.)

http://instagr.am/p/CNqCbzSpW9_/

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,488 Posts
When bearing supported metal spins fast, heat is generated. How hot will a gear case be after thirty minutes out of the water at 6000 rpm? Water flowing over the gear case extends the life of the gear case seals and bearings, but probably inconsequential for most low hour operators using this cooling design.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Steven

We will see how it works. As with any JP or tunnel, the highest setting is only a tool for extreme use such as hole shot to jump on plane, to cross bars entering and in back country, for running shallow lakes, lagoons, etc. Usually, (except maybe in Lower Laguna Madre), those extreme applications are for a short period of time. And it’s safer & more comfortable to run with more skeg in the water and certainly the nosecone submersed. But that ability to confront the extreme piece of water opens up a lot of options.

All of this is in development, but the goal is that a light 12 degree boat rigged with low water pickup, should be able to run as shallow as most standard Florida rigged 2 degree boats including those with tunnels. And an advanced, super light 2 degree boat set up this way without tunnel will become as desirable as a tunnel.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts