Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm launching a big, soul crushing project at the end of April and will be looking to hook up the skiff and get lost in some new water for a week or so sometime in late May through June...

My preference would be the low country around Charleston since I've always enjoyed visiting that area and have an old college buddy who lives up there these days.

Any advice on conditions that time of year or skiff friendly hotels would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't get a hotel downtown with a skiff. Asking for a headache. For the most part they should be okay for a skiff, I'd just make sure to look on google maps first to make sure there aren't any impossible turns or anything. Fishing the Wando or the ICW area are good. Just go into the mindset that you will not be the only one out there. Tons of "guides" in the area now and plenty of average joes that are not afraid of poling within 80 yards of you on a flat. Don't be afraid to drive AWAY from the heart of Charleston, MTP, IOP, etc. to get away from the crowds. Time of the year, should be good. There will be fish on the flats so just go when you can and enjoy it!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Tigerfly laid it out pretty well on the hotels, definitely avoid downtown streets with a trailer.

There are definitely a few crowded, well known flats but easy to get away from them, also as long as it is not an evening flood tide weekdays are usually pretty empty.

Time of year is good just line it up on the better tides and you should be good. Most importantly have fun, catch fish, and get off the flat before the tide drops!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Let me know when you get the days locked in. I’m out at least once a week here in Charleston and don’t mind helping out. Depending on the day I might even join you.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys and good to know...if I am able to make it happen I'll be bringing up the Spear, which I think should get me into and out of those creeks pretty efficiently. Running the tiller up there to get to wade spots is on my bucket list...

Reactions: bryson

·
Registered
176 Posts
@crboggs If you don't mind camping, check out Buck Hall Recreation area. It's right on the IC with a good ramp. My wife and I use this area as basecamp often. It's a little further north of Charleston but is in the vicinity of some fantastic fishing.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
I typically fish further south and there is a pretty cool older style motel that my dad and his buddies always stay at when they're here playing golf. It's called Creekside Lands Inn, right on the marsh and plenty of room for your boat trailer.

Reactions: crboggs

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@crboggs If you don't mind camping, check out Buck Hall Recreation area. It's right on the IC with a good ramp. My wife and I use this area as basecamp often. It's a little further north of Charleston but is in the vicinity of some fantastic fishing.
Looking at those creeks is making my tiller hand sweaty... :D

Reactions: bryson
1 - 9 of 9 Posts