Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Louisiana with the boys for two days with Cap Todd Monson of Louisiana on Fly charters. While the weather was super nice and warmer than usual, the fishing wasn't as expected likely due to the warmer water temps. Todd and and Capt Jeff Johnson put our groups on plenty of shots both days and worked hard to find us fish, but the reds and black drum were acting like punks and refusing just about every time. I did land a nice red early the second day crusing down a bank and our buddy stuck a big ugly and a couple of nicer reds. I can't say enough about Todd, he showed us a good time on and of the water. If you wanna cast at the big girls in a beautiful fishery give him a call. 305-393-5003 @louisiana_onfly

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
When it is on, it's on. But it was even tough over here in TX at that same time. East winds, higher water. Found tons (60+ across the day) of fish one day, but they all acted like they had a stick of dynamite with a 1" fuse strapped to their backs. Todd is a great captain so you were in good hands for sure.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is that your lodging in picture #4? If so, could you post a website, contact info for the lodging?

Thanks....nice fish too!!

Reactions: Charles Hadley

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
He sounds like a great guide. But it pains me to see people coming to LA and using out of state guides when there are full time locals that know the water better than these transient guides. Its everyones water and everybody has to earn a living. But the guys in LA have been crushed this year by storms. So if you are headed to LA (and really this goes for anywhere) please consider a local guide.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We also struggled until Saturday. Water was high and there wasn’t a lot of tide movement. Water finally fell out early Saturday and things improved a lot

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
He sounds like a great guide. But it pains me to see people coming to LA and using out of state guides when there are full time locals that know the water better than these transient guides. Its everyones water and everybody has to earn a living. But the guys in LA have been crushed this year by storms. So if you are headed to LA (and really this goes for anywhere) please consider a local guide.
Todd divides his time between Alaska, Louisiana and Florida. He's full time and the real deal. Shoot, a lot of the Louisiana guys go to Florida, and vice versa, and the Texas guys go to Louisiana based on the seasons.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Todd divides his time between Alaska, Louisiana and Florida. He's full time and the real deal. Shoot, a lot of the Louisiana guys go to Florida, and vice versa, and the Texas guys go to Louisiana based on the seasons.
I am sure he's a fine guide but that wasnt the point. LA has been hammered and they need our support.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am sure he's a fine guide but that wasnt the point. LA has been hammered and they need our support.
Just going brings revenue - hotels, restaurants, flights. But I hear ya - I am trying to get down to Belize soon for the same reasons.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You are making the assumption that one guides success comes at the expense of another's. This is rarely the case in the world of fly fishing guides.
In the majority of instances traveling guides have a following that they build up over time. Their customers follow them to new locations and the benefit to these areas is significant.

I know this from 3 decades of guiding. I guide half of the year in NY and half in Florida. From day one in Florida I had steady business and still do. Virtually none of my clients are from Florida. The majority of the people I guide in Florida are from the client list that we have built over several decades and the majority of them are fishing Tampa Bay for the first time. These visiting fly fishermen spend a lot of money locally during their trips, many return, many use other guides when I'm up north.

This scenario is likely to be similar with transient guides all across the country.

It is sad that the guides in the LA fishery took a beating from the storms. It happens somewhere every year and I feel their pain. When you combine the weather related loss with the business crash due to covid it's been a rough time for guides everywhere. Hopefully better times are coming.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You are making the assumption that one guides success comes at the expense of another's. This is rarely the case in the world of fly fishing guides.
In the majority of instances traveling guides have a following that they build up over time. Their customers follow them to new locations and the benefit to these areas is significant.

I know this from 3 decades of guiding. I guide half of the year in NY and half in Florida. From day one in Florida I had steady business and still do. Virtually none of my clients are from Florida. The majority of the people I guide in Florida are from the client list that we have built over several decades and the majority of them are fishing Tampa Bay for the first time. These visiting fly fishermen spend a lot of money locally during their trips, many return, many use other guides when I'm up north.

This scenario is likely to be similar with transient guides all across the country.

It is sad that the guides in the LA fishery took a beating from the storms. It happens somewhere every year and I feel their pain. When you combine the weather related loss with the business crash due to covid it's been a rough time for guides everywhere. Hopefully better times are coming.

my 2 cents
You make some valid points but none of those negate what I said in the first place. You can rationalize it all you want. And you have every right to guide the way you do. That does not change the fact that you ARE taking potential clients away from a local guide. Now I totally get the client/guide relationship. When you have a good fit that is a priceless scenario. But what I see zero reason to do is for a guy visiting an area and hiring a guide that he isn't familiar with that is not a full time local guide. There is zero reason to do that IMO. If for no other reason that the full time local is ahead of the game with the current happening of the fishery. For example, I am sure when you first get down to FL, even though you have been guiding there for years, it still takes you a few trips to figure out what is happening at the moment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
But what I see zero reason to do is for a guy visiting an area and hiring a guide that he isn't familiar with that is not a full time local guide. There is zero reason to do that IMO. If for no other reason that the full time local is ahead of the game with the current happening of the fishery. For example, I am sure when you first get down to FL, even though you have been guiding there for years, it still takes you a few trips to figure out what is happening at the moment.
Now I don't know any of the LA guides so please understand that what I am writing below is merely a counter point on the topic.

I can understand why someone would think that guides from a particular area should know more about said area than someone who does not live there. That point of view however is assuming a lot. I have fished with local guides in multiple destinations that were not worth much. When I have had lousy guides, it was normally in heavily fished areas where guys are out almost every day and have few return clients year to year. These guides don't put much into the day and they don't have to. (generic observation)

I agree that the local guide may have an advantage with some species. There is certainly a local advantage in the world of chumming bait or pursuing gamefish on standard tackle but in fly fishing it's a different game.

Most people like to catch fish but your day with your fly fishing guide is about far more. Most clients appreciate hard work, casting instruction, advice on rigging, fly choice, approaching water, presentation tactics and an ability to coach you up. Good guides have all of these attributes and geography has nothing to do with them. This is why fly anglers are willing to follow good guides on hosted trips to just about any location.

What I personally like about full time guides that move to different fisheries is simple. "No Burn Out"
Every time the guide changes fisheries he gets a recharge. The moves keep him sharp, on his game and full of enthusiasm.

Lastly the question of whether or not the local guide has an advantage. My opinion, possibly but it depends on the people.

Whether or not a transient guide jumps into his season and is on his game right away come down to time on the water. I will use myself as an example. I guide Tampa Bay from mid October through mid April. I guide a lot but I also fish a lot, almost every day in all weather types. I always log 100+ days on the water during my time in Florida. Over the years I have learned how the fish in my area use the water during the months I'm here. It took a while to learn how they move with the tides, how they move on fronts and react to the changing water temps. during winter. From year to year there are only minor variations so jumping in and being successful normally comes on day one. I am sure that most guides who are well established have similar experiences when moving between destinations.

Ken

·
Registered
777 Posts
I’d rather fish with someone I like then catch fish. The first guide I had in Venice I booked for three days and he was the most annoying person, then on day 2 he said he made a mistake on schedule and pawned us off on his friend, not a local but Inliked him a lot more. Went on 3 more trips with that guy now he doesn’t even respond if I ask to go for a trip or call and leave a message or DM him on Instagram....maybe it’s just me. I don’t care where your from take me fishin and be cool.

Reactions: jmrodandgun
1 - 13 of 13 Posts