Louisiana Redfish Trip.... Fly Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by paint it black, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

The plethora of PVC poles was very intimidating when we went, I steered clear of them and stayed in the main channel on the way out then hugged the shoreline on the way in. Now I know what to do next trip! I’m heading the other way next time now I now I’m not going to be leaving a lower unit there.

rakeel and paint it black like this.
  2. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

It is called "hot" rouge drum along the river right now.

paint it black likes this.

3. Caleb.Esparza

Caleb.Esparza Well-Known Member

Looks like an epic trip and smart exit based on the weather. It's been terrible the past few days and that east wind really kept the water high..

I'm past at least the 40th fish on my little purple and chartreuse slider thing over he past two weeks so I see no reason to change what works for now. Probably stick with it until I start getting honest refusals.

Also the pvc/bamboo stakes mark commercial oyster leases as others have said. Most of the ones I've ran between seem like they are in more than 3ft of water but I'm always a little skeptical either way being a Floridian.

4. Ruddy Duck LA

Ruddy Duck LA Active Member

PVC poles encourage the shrimp trawlers to drag bottom elsewhere. They mark and protect the oyster beds.

5. Smackdaddy53

That’s funny because down here oyster boats scrape the reefs flat, shoot at people and run fisherman off. Shrimpers trawl the deeper open bay. No poles anywhere but obstructions and back lake channel markers.

6. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

We need more PVC poles here on the TX coast to mark oyster beds. There are some spots with high tides that put the beds just under the water.

I was wade fishing an area one day - had the boat staked off. There is an inlet from a back cut where you can cut across this area, but the water has to be HIGH to do it. Well, here comes a new Hells Bay around the corner and the next thing you hear is scraping and the boat coming to a complete stop. The 3 guys on it had to do the walk of shame, but that was after I heard the owner cursing at the top of his lungs.

7. Smackdaddy53

That’s why scouting and knowing your water is very important! I ran over some shell a while back but only hit one piece with my skeg because I knew it was there but didn’t realize the tide fell out as much as it did. I was fully jacked and puckered up as I went over it.

8. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Around here you're not doing it right if you haven't scraped at least a little paint off your skeg.

paint it black and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  9. coconutgroves

My skeg needs to be redone! There is no paint on it and a few chips.

10. Tx_Whipray

Tx_Whipray Well-Known Member

Peche is amazing. 2 time James Beard award winner. Eating there with the wife this weekend.
    Going to Cocodrie Thanksgiving weekend. Bringing my 10 year old for his first shot at LA Bulls. He's so excited it's all he's talked about for 2 weeks.

11. Ruddy Duck LA

Ruddy Duck LA Active Member

Good to know that poles mark some shallow beds in certain areas. Where I am seeing them, the beds generally have a good bit of water over them. The boats that harvest the oysters draft more than I do. This is taking into account tides and wind influence as well.

12. marshhen

marshhen Active Member

Lots of egos in this thread. Louisiana just just like anywhere else in that when it's on, it's on, and when it's off, it's off. You can come here and get skunked just like anywhere else. The weather can shut you down here like anywhere else, and during the fall/winter, the weather is very unpredictable. Moreso than anywhere I've ever fished. The fish can be there one day then gone the next. Do not come here without knowing the area without good boat insurance.

The difference between Louisiana and elsewhere is that when it is on, it's the best redfishery (and one of the best inshore fisheries in general) in the world. Cool photos @estrada. Glad you guys had a good time and caught some fish.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  13. Smackdaddy53

Egos?

coconutgroves likes this.
  14. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

Great report. Not sure which is better. Schools of 15lb fish in November or 40lb loners in February.

15. Caleb.Esparza

Caleb.Esparza Well-Known Member

Totally agree with @marshhen. Weather is the deciding factor here for sure.. We ran all over the earth Saturday just to put one redfish in the boat. High water, crap wind and cloud cover makes for a tough day no matter how good the fishery is.

Smackdaddy53 and sjrobin like this.
  16. Geuax Deep

Geuax Deep Active Member

Headed to Hopedale in a couple of weeks. I guess December is dicey for weather conditions, but we should have good conditions for at least some of the trip.

17. marshhen

marshhen Active Member

Yall should be fine. Dealing with crap weather is easier when the water is low, and the water has been abnormally high pretty consistently since Nate. Crap conditions and bad weather are exaggerated x15 when the water is high. We've got a couple fronts with good winds that'll push water out of the marsh coming through over the next couple weeks. Couple that with a negative tide and yall will be good.

Caleb.Esparza likes this.
  18. Financekid1

Financekid1 I Love microskiff.com!

man, I was supposed to head over the week after thanksgiving. The weather forecast is completely shot....bummed

19. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

We were faced with a similar situation. The forecast had changed for the worst a few days before we hit the road for our trip. The conditions were trash. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it was blowing 20+ knots all three days. First day was overcast, plus high winds, it made fishing for big fish almost impossible. Day 2, higher winds, but some sun and light clouds. It made it tough to pole and what not, but luckily the fish were feeding hard it was easy to spot them. Day 3 the winds were down a little to about 15 knots, and zero clouds. It made it much better for us to execute a game plan. We are used to fishing in high winds, we just looked for fish on shorelines that were sheltered from the wind.

I'm glad we decided to make the trip, despite the weather forecast being horrid.

E-money and Caleb.Esparza like this.
  20. coconutgroves

Here's a good example that it isn't a gold mine there - Meredith McCord posted on her instagram that yesterday they had an epic day - 25 fish. Today, only one. Similar conditions, but less wind today.

Caleb.Esparza likes this.