Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Louisiana redfish killed by menhaden boars

4003 Views 26 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  lemaymiami
Wanna vomit???

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/sto...n-boats/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email

“By conservative estimates, as much as 140 million pounds or more of bycatch are harvested and destroyed by these menhaden harvesters annually,” Macaluso says. That includes both vital forage species and prime game fish that support the state’s recreational-fishing industry.

“Seeing hundreds and sometimes thousands of large, breeding-size redfish killed in pogy nets along the beaches where they’re eating and spawning every summer and fall is gut-wrenching,” adds Macaluso, a lifelong Louisiana resident and angling enthusiast.
Reactions: TrojanBob
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
6,014 Posts
Seeing a big kill of the fish we target (particularly when they're just being wasted...) will get everyone's attention -but the real deal is simply that the fish will go where the food is - and leave areas without the food they need.

Anyone making excuses for this sort of stuff (even if it's been going on for years and years...) is kidding themselves. I meant every word that I said in my first posts. Protect the food the fish need and your areas will stay fat and healthy. Allow netters to take the bait (particularly with spotter planes...) in your areas and you can come fish with me over in the 'glades where such things haven't been allowed for years and years...

The big surprise for all of us when we finally stopped the mullet netting by high roller rigs... is just what that was doing to our trout, pompano, redfish, and everything else - and how quickly our fisheries came back after our net ban... The solutions we found here were only the beginning of efforts we're still engaged in around my state - and the only thing keeping things going is the willingness to keep up trying to make things better. The moment any of us slacks off - the folks with money will find people who should know better willing to "ease up a bit" -and it will all go downhill again...

Each area has to come up with it's own solutions but you have to get going or all too soon the things we take for granted will just be gone....

· will pole for food
1,118 Posts
"The Atlantic counterpart of the GSMFC ruled the industry was overfished in 2011 and set caps. Our pogy fishery has no cap. Since 2011, the industry here has doubled its take from Mississippi waters, according to numbers reported to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) by the fishery: 184 million pounds of pogies brought into Mississippi in 2014 — up from 100 million in 2011."

and this is what happens when East Coast States impose caps...

· Registered
6,014 Posts
You have to push, poke, and prod to get the needed changes for your state(s) - or get used to watching it all disappear on you.

In fact that dreaded word “politics” comes to mind. This is exactly why folks in my state (Florida) worked so hard to get an inshore net ban in place back in the early nineties. It has made a world of difference.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.